Overcrowded Cinnamon/MATE installation

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Xmar21X

Overcrowded Cinnamon/MATE installation

Post by Xmar21X »

Why are there so many packages installed which are not needed? For example Compiz. OK it's not that bad but I don't think that most users need it. Or nautilus and caja. Why are both installed? Isn't is enough to use one of them? And why is there no option to install just Cinnamon OR Mate? In the ubuntu based version it's also possible. Or do I just have to clean the system up after installing it. Is this really the sense of a "fresh" install?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Overcrowded Cinnamon/MATE installation

Post by zerozero »

hi,
welcome to the forums and lmde :)
most of the issues you are reporting will be "fixed" with the next respins where we will have separate cinnamon - mate isos

the current isos have both bundled because (my opinion) of historical reasons:
after UP4 with the arrival of gnome-shell to debian the inclusion of cinnamon in the isos (at the time still a young project) was the best answer available to gnome-shell;

but because cinnamon was still young and a radical change for the users that were updating from gnome2.x mate was also included as a more familiar and stable option.

today both projects are mature (this doesn't mean that they are not improved everyday) and deserve dedicated editions; that's what is going to happen later this year/beginning of next.
Xmar21X

Post by Xmar21X »

Ah ok. Looking forward to the next iso. Probably Xnoise should be used in the cinnamon version instead of Banshee because it integrates well in cinnamon. Nautilus should probably also be replaced with nemo, because nautilus 3.6 is terrible in my opinion. :wink:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

can't say nothing about xnoise but nemo will be for sure the default file manager in the cinnamon edition.

Return to “LMDE Archive”