installing themes on mint 14

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bcroll

installing themes on mint 14

Post by bcroll »

on mint 14 cinammon settings the themes section offers lots of great looking themes like jelly bean etc. but how do you install them
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Re: installing themes on mint 14

Post by twodogs »

download new themes (these are Cinnamon themes by the way) from here.

unzip the downloaded theme and put it in /usr/share/themes with

Code: Select all

press Alt+F2
enter ' gksu nemo / ' 
enter password
drag the unzipped folder (the theme you downloaded) to the themes folder (/usr/share/themes)
This is also how you would install regular GTK themes from here.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

twodogs wrote:the themes folder (/usr/share/themes)
You only need to do this if there are other users on the machine and you want the theme to be available to them too. If it's just you, it's easier and safer to just put them in a .themes in your home folder for which you don't need to run anything with elevated permissions.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

remoulder wrote:
twodogs wrote:the themes folder (/usr/share/themes)
You only need to do this if there are other users on the machine and you want the theme to be available to them too.
Technically, there are 'others.' Root. If the themes aren't in /usr/share/themes, then the 'root user' will use an ugly theme when you are using those elevated priviliages. It's really not a whole lot of work to do, it's just the way I've always done it.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

twodogs wrote: It's really not a whole lot of work to do
Maybe not but encouraging messing around with the file-system as root puts the less experiences user at more risk imo.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

remoulder wrote:at more risk
At more risk of what? Destroying your computer? The way I see it, everyone, is 'at risk.' A new person is likely going to make less mistakes than say, you would, while muckin' around in the root folder. The average user may never want to change their theme and thusly will never need to go into a root folder. But, if a user wants to change his/her theme, or do something more challenging, I must encourage. That is how they are going to learn.

I have never, ever, borked my system up so bad that it would not work correctly because I was in the root folder. Maybe I was lucky.
bcroll

Re: installing themes on mint 14 [SOLVED]

Post by bcroll »

Thanks again for the help folks i do like playing around with the system to learn

Return to “Beginner Questions”