Lag spikes while playing an fps online (quake live)

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Lag spikes while playing an fps online (quake live)

Postby pasqoo on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi, I'm having an issue with connection stability while gaming online.

My card chipset is: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
I got Linux Mint 13 Maya 64bit Mate edition.

First issue (already solved), while playing I lagged a lot, until the server disconnected me (due to inactivity).
Doing ping in terminal would give me pings of SECONDS, multiple pipes... etc.
This wasn't a new issue to me, I had it in past with debian testing.
I solved this by installing compat-wireless (the last stable release, I only selected and compiled the ath9k driver with the script included).

Now, the only issue which is still present, is that sometimes (every X minutes, I have to time it better, it's like every minute or so) the lagometer (it's a part of fps UIs which shows the stability of the connection, wikipedia) shows red spikes (which is bad, normally it's green) and I get very bad lag. It stays like this for like 2-3 seconds then the connection returns normal and the lagometer shows only the green bar.

Wikipedia says: "Red bars mean that the frame has not arrived on time"
I would interpret this behaviour as packet loss...

The first thing to check would be to close all the applications, right? But while I play I got only Dropbox and UpdateManager icons in my system tray (and dropbox sync stays Paused while I play).

Is there a way to check what happens to my network while I play? Like some logs... So I can analyze what happens in my pc when those red spikes happen in my lagometer... maybe there's some application using my connection in background.

Thanks

EDIT: adding screens for when it is STABLE and when it is LAGGING.
pasqoo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Wireless