updated and it broke

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alan2273
Level 2
Level 2

updated and it broke

Post by alan2273 »

I have been away for a few days and when i switched on it said there were 78 updates so i updated and it told me to reboot, but unfortunately i clicked switch off.
When i switched on it could not find a screen to load.
It seemed it had updated the kernel from 10 to 11.
at the prompt i typed startx and it said no GUI found that could be loaded, so i rebooted and selected number10 to load and it is OK.
Why has update 11 broken the Nvidia configuration and how do i put it right?.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

You probably need to run envy again.

Clem
alan2273
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alan2273 »

Thanks Clem that did the trick, I must put my brain in gear in future, I had tried all sorts but never thought of reinstalling the Nvidia driver. :oops:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: updated and it broke

Post by scorp123 »

alan2273 wrote:Why has update 11 broken the Nvidia configuration and how do i put it right?.
Happens every time you update the kernel or the X.org drivers. That's because Nvidia's drivers rely upon a module (a kernel driver) which is closed source and therefore needs to recompiled every time you change certain parts in your system (the kernel developpers cannot update that part as this Nvidia stuff is closed source and regarded as a "trade secret" by Nvidia Corp.). It's a bit of a nuisance, I agree. But as you now know how to get around it if it happens, it shouldn't be a big problem, right? :wink:
alan2273
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alan2273 »

scorp123, thanks for that explanation, as you say I will know for the future. :D

Return to “Other topics”