Advantages and aadisadvantages Using Windows In A Virtual Bx

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Advantages and aadisadvantages Using Windows In A Virtual Bx

Postby tlcmd on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:47 pm

While I prefer LMDE, I do have some applications which can only run on Windows and will not run with WINE. I am on the 14 day trial of Crossover Linux (with difficulty).
Opinions Please:
Set up a dual boot with Windows Xp SP3 and LMDE

or

Install LMDE and run Windows XP SP3 in a Virtual box.

Advantages and disadvantages to both.

Thanks,
tlcmd
tlcmd
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Advantages and aadisadvantages Using Windows In A Virtua

Postby Transitman on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:53 am

I run LMDE and have Virtual Box installed.
I run WinXP-SP3 and test other OSes in it as well.
CrossOver and WINE work with some effort, but Virtual Box is a breeze once get the hang of it.
Transitman
Level 2
Level 2

Postby monkeyboy on Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:28 am

When I ran Windows applications I preferred to dual boot with Linux. Windows programs installed easier and stability was as it always had been. This is not to take anything away from Wine or Windows under an emulator once setup either can do an acceptable job. Enjoy
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby cwsnyder on Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:04 pm

Running Windows on 'bare metal' rather than a virtual machine allows you to hook up those odd devices which only have support with Windows driver disks. The major disadvantage of running Windows on bare metal is backing up your data must be done from Windows, you can't just have a snapshot of how your Windows was before you installed that game which borked your Windows installation. You also will probably have to 'fix' your Mint installation after your Windows install, because Windows always assumes that it is the ONLY operating system installed on the system, takes over the MBR, and overwrites any Linux boot loader.

You can also get your Linux portion of the hard disk overwritten if you get one of those 'format the hard disk' type of malware on your Windows box.
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM16 Mate 64-bit
Debian Xfce 64-bit, Xubuntu 13.10 64-bit, Xubuntu Trusty Tahr 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS LXDE 64-bit
cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions