Blowing away Fedora but Mint won't boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
voodoodoc2

Blowing away Fedora but Mint won't boot

Post by voodoodoc2 »

I have an existing system that has run Fedora (various verisons) for years. Decided to give Linux Mint a try and it all seemed to go swimmingly until it said installation was complete and I rebooted. After POST, I just see a white dash like it can't find anything to boot. Never see Grub or anything.

Disk configuratoin is as follows, just want to overwrite Fedora, but not touch /home or my backup drive so I set partitions up manually:

/dev/sda1 - mount point: boot, format
/dev/sda2 - mount point: /, format
/dev/sda3 - swap
/dev/sda4 - mount point:/home, do NOT format

/dev/sdb1 - backup for /home [told Mint to not use it]

It's also strange I never got prompted by the installation to enter a root password, it had me create what seems like a user account, so I'm wondering if I missed a step or it crashed without my knowing or something.

So on the live CD, I open a terminal and mount up /dev/sda1 and look in boot/grub but there is no grub.conf file present, can't imagine that's normal is it?

Code: Select all

mint grub # pwd
/mnt/temp/grub
mint grub # ls
fonts  gfxblacklist.txt  grub.cfg  grubenv  i386-pc  locale  setup_left_core_image_in_filesystem
If I mount up what is supposed to be / (/dev/sda2) it certainly looks like things got installed so I know it did something, Fedora is certianly gone.

mint etc # cat /mnt/temp/etc/os-release 
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="12.10, Quantal Quetzal"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu quantal (12.10)"
VERSION_ID="12.10"
mint etc # cat /mnt/temp/etc/lsb-release 
DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=14
DISTRIB_CODENAME=nadia
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 14 Nadia"
mint etc # 
Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
voodoodoc2

Re: Blowing away Fedora but Mint won't boot

Post by voodoodoc2 »

Should also mention I see the following error after some time goes by, even with just the liveCD. Figure it's innocuous since I don't even have a floopy drive.

Error mounting /dev/fd0 at /media/mint/disk: Command-line `mount -t "auto" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid" "/dev/fd0" "/media/mint/disk"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: block device /dev/fd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: /dev/fd0: can't read superblock
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Did you set grub to sda?
Like this: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/Mint_ ... loader.png

Were you using a DVD or a USB as install media
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
voodoodoc2

Post by voodoodoc2 »

I am using the live DVD. Actually now that I think about it I may have told Grub to use /sda1. Doh! So MBR is probably formatted and blank which is why nothing boots. I guess I could mount sda2 and chroot into it and re-install Grub, but I'll just give the installation another go so I can grab some screen shots in case it's something else.
voodoodoc2

Post by voodoodoc2 »

After re-installing and putting grub on the MBR things seem to work. Despite my bonehead move the installation process was a breeze. Hats off to the Linux Mint folks.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

voodoodoc2 wrote:After re-installing and putting grub on the MBR things seem to work. Despite my bonehead move the installation process was a breeze. Hats off to the Linux Mint folks.
Yep
Good to hear
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Return to “Installation & Boot”