Suggestion: Creating desktop shortcuts

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Dennis99

Re: Suggestion: Creating desktop shortcuts

Post by Dennis99 »

Am I missing your point completely?
You can drag and drop programs from the mint menu onto the desktop by left mouse click and hold.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Yes you are missing the point. Applications aren't a problem.
No, your point is irrelevant, you just haven't realized it yet.
To create a shortcut to a folder you have to create a "launcher" and enter the "name" and "command" (not to mention the available icons don't include a regular file folder or disk icon).
No, actually all you have to do is right-click the desired folder, file, app, and click "Make Link"
Icons are located in general folders such as /usr/share/pixmaps; /usr/share/icons, installed icon packs are stored in /home/[name]/.icons.
As a side note I had to also download icons to get a "file folder" picture for my shortcuts. It would be nice if the default list of icons for the "launcher" included the common items stored on a computer (e.g. file folder, disk drive, music files, video files, web, open office, etc).
Most are. Right-click on MintMenu, edit menu, select the properties of any app, click on the icon and it will open the directory it is in.

Linux is both similar and dissimilar to Windows. Not everything is going to be exactly the same, that's the point. Research and learning is the key, do not automatically assume its a system fault when you cannot complete a task :) Get out there and figure it out :P
diego1188

Post by diego1188 »

Left-button drag and press "Alt" before dropping... you'll get the same move-copy-link menu you find in windows. :wink:

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”