Black screen after suspend/resume process

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ryszd

Black screen after suspend/resume process

Post by ryszd »

Hi all,

I've this annoying problem. When I suspend, the suspension seems to work fine. But when I try to resume, the screen stay black, with neither retro-illumination nor cursor, and without the possibility to press any key.

Pc: Amilo pa 3553
Video card: Ati Mobility Radeon HD 3400, with proprietary drivers (but the bug was the same with non proprietary)
Distro: Mint 13 Maya with Mate

Thank you very much!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lanser

Re: Black screen after suspend/resume process

Post by Lanser »

Hello ryszd. Your machine has two graphics processors running shared memory with the cpu. This may make suspend problems more difficult to resolve.
Can you please confirm how much physical memory you have ? And can you please also try to suspend the machine, then listen to hear if the CPU fan is still running ?
Also have you checked the logs for any suspend or resume errors ?

Lanser
adrianlai

Post by adrianlai »

I have the same problem running Cinnamon on my Acer Aspire 5553G, it suspends normally (everything is off except for a blinking light indicating sleep), after waking it up the fan runs, the monitor backlight turns on (but still black), other notification lights are on just like under normal operation, except that there's nothing on the screen. Now I must turn it off if I'm not using it for a short while.

My Acer Aspire 5553G: (if it helps)
CPU: AMD Phenom II quad-core N930
RAM: 4GB DDR3 upgraded to 12 GB using three soDIMM modules
GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650

Thanks in advance;)
chrisk

Post by chrisk »

I have a very similar problem. That is, my netbook does go into suspension, as indicated by the power LED flashing slowly in red, and the logs proclaim success.

When I hit a key in order to wake it up it even comes out of suspension, as indicated by the power LED turning into constant green. However, the LCD's backlight is not turned on.

There might be something being displayed on the screen but I have no chance to see it. Visual inspection of the screen in bright light at various angles doesn't really help.

"Unfortunately" I fitted an SSD drive to the system, so there is no HDD to be heard spinning up. There is also no CPU fan.

The system is as follows:
Sony Vaio VGN-P11Z with Intel Atom Z520 CPU, GMA500 ("Poulsbo") graphics chipset, and 2 GB of RAM. 128 GB PATA SSD (make: Super Talent).

The software is LMDE 14 ("Nadia"), XFCE version. Except for the flaw mentioned above this works clean right out of the box on my hardware. This isn't true for certain other distributions and therefore deserves my special appreciation (and hopefully not only mine).

--- begin of a side note
As a side note I would like to mention that the ONLY distribution which I have tried out that handles the suspend/resume procedure more or less successfully is Joli OS 1.2 (Ubuntu-based). Apparently they made a lot of special adaptations for netbooks, and for the Intel Atom in particular. The wakeup/resume mechanism isn't reliable, though, as in about 30% of all cases I have to press <Ctrl><Alt>F2 followed by <Ctrl><Alt>F1 in order to see the "Unlock Screen" dialog. The LCD backlight is always turned on immediately, however, as soon as I hit a key for wakeup. The F2 key mentioned above may also be any other F-key except F1 (no wonder with X-windows).

I haven't had (and will not have in the near future) the time to investigate what Joli OS does and LMDE Xfce doesn't do.

I am striving to get away from Joli because sometimes it behaves annoyingly (hangs for tens of seconds). It doesn't really crash, though, and therefore deserves to be called 'quite stable'.
--- end of the side note

Regards,
ChrisK
Brian67

Post by Brian67 »

Same issue for me, suspend and hibernation, comes back and the machine is clearly running, normal Wifi and HDD indications, but no video. I'm using Olivia 64 bit.
Brian67

Post by Brian67 »

For me, the resume after hibernation is resolved...

I am a newbie with Linux, and it shows. My D630 has the Quadro NVS 135 GPU, but after the installation I just left the default nouveau drivers. Today I updated to the recommended nVidia drivers.

Now my Mint desktop looks clean, crisp yet soft, and most importantly I can hibernate and resume flawlessly. Also, plugging in an external screen now works perfectly.

I have to get a bigger brick for my docking station, haven't had a chance to test that yet.

So over the past four days I have got to say, Mint 15 has proven to be very wonderful.

Return to “Hardware Support”