After updates Networking no longer works

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
simple simon

After updates Networking no longer works

Post by simple simon »

Hello,

Just installed Mint Mate on a pc I'm building. Everything worked fine, I installed the Opera web browser from the internet, tried but failed to install Seamonkey web browser (it could not be found!) and I also installed some updates which were offered to me by the operating system.

Next time I booted into Mint the networking would not work. I can ping my router (ifconfig brings up a never ending list of ping results), but not anything online (ifconfig cannot find host).

The computer is multi boot... win 2k (for important older softwares and because when newer forms of Windows go wrong they cannot be easily repaired / full reinstalls are usually required) win 7x64, win 8x64 and Mint x64.

I am used static ip addresses.

Networking works fine on the win 2k and win 7. The win 8 is not being allowed online until everything else with the pc is OK, as it will try to activate immediately - something I do not want it to do! To prevent it from going online I've not given it the static ip address information.

My dilemma is that the Mint will no longer work online, and I have no idea what to do to resolve this. OK, I've looked at a networking applet to check that the ip address is entered correctly (it is) but thats it. Firefox does connect to my router - but not the Internet! Also, none of the software update applets can connect to anything that is online. (they return error messages about not being able to find the urls they are looking for).

I assume that this is a software driver issue, and if this happened on a windows box my first thought would be to would 'roll back' the networking software - but I do not know how to do this with Linux. If such is possible.

I am thinking that the easiest and quickest solution will be to reinstall Linux, and then just not allow any updates. Possibly not wise, but out of sheer desperation it seems logical.

Can anyone suggest other ideas? btw, as I dont have networking so I am not able to download and install anything.

Another dilemma is that this is costing me much time and effort which I really cannot spare.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

ps: sound is also an issue, albeit not at login (sounds work when I login) but afterwards! But I can live with that and resolve it when I have time. Anyway, I plan to install the creative soundcard which I am already using on the pc I am replacing.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: After updates Networking no longer works

Post by remoulder »

What version of mint? Also supply outputs of

Code: Select all

nm-tool
cat /etc/network/interfaces
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
simple simon

Post by simple simon »

Thanks.

Mint Maya / 13.

NetworkManager Tool
State: connected (global)

Device eth0

Type: Wired
Driver r8169
State: unamaged
Default: no
HW Address: 54:04:A6:7E:76:8F

Capabilities:
Carrier Detect: yes
Speed 100 Mb/s

Wired Properties:
Carrier: on

============================
btw, I had to type in (manually) everything dispalyed in terminal on the computer with the problem to this computer, which is a netbook. Since both were running I tried pinging each other... this worked fine, no packets lost.

But when I tried pinging (on the pc with the problem) bbc.co.uk I received the error message below...

ping: unknown host bbc.co.uk

Simon
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

simple simon wrote:State: unamaged
Usually means you have modified /etc/network/interfaces which is why I asked for the contents of that file you haven't provided. If that is so you can't mix network manager and manual networking, it's one or the other. If you want to do it via the interfaces file and can't resolve names you will need to ensure you specify DNS servers as well as IP address.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
simple simon

Post by simple simon »

Screenshot.png
I've taken a screenshot for you.

I am not sure what you think I modified - or how!

Maybe this is what the updates did?

Simon
clodger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by clodger »

Hello Minters

I have the same problem as simple simon.
I installed Mint Debian 1.0.5.
I allowed the update to 1.0.6, and after a reboot I had no wired internet connection.
The ONLY things I did in between was to install Opera because Firefox didn't work (!?), and an earlier version of the flash player because that wasn't working (still isn't !).

I really like Linux systems in general and look forward to becoming more competent with them, but I always seem to be fighting with problems which really shouldn't show up. Linux has a long way to go before it can attract "ordinary" people away from Windows and Mac (if that's what it's trying to do).

Anyway, having got that off my chest hopefully some kind expert can help me out ............

Regards, Chris
Gord

Post by Gord »

clodger wrote:I have the same problem as simple simon.
If you have read the earlier posts then you should know that we need some specifics about *your* current network configuration; that's why remoulder asked for the outputs produced by the commands

nm-tool
and

Gord

Post by Gord »

simple simon wrote:I've taken a screenshot for you.
...which simply reiterates what you transcribed into your earlier post. What you still haven't provided is the output from

clodger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by clodger »

Yeah, sorry about that, Gord - after I posted I realised that I should've given more info, but I thought that perhaps the post had gone dead.
Unfortunately I've now removed Mint, so can't give any info at the moment but I may try again.
However, from my point of view, I would suggest that this appears to be a fundamental problem with a few current Linux distros.
I used to run Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, and decided to upgrade when 12.04 LTS became available, and guess what happened? - wired internet connection lost!
I tried a Lubuntu 12.04 install, and again no wired internet connection.
It could be that the problem is particular to my type of PC, which is getting on a bit now, so I'm thinking I'll go back to older versions of Linux.

Return to “Networking”