Can not receive files from phone/bluetooth

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jan_goyvaerts

Post by jan_goyvaerts »

Can somebody help me out with this ? I'm trying to exchange files with my laptop; running on LMDE. I've been tinkering around and finally I can send files. But still not receive them.

In the end I've installed gnome-bluetooth (sudo apt-get install gnome-bluetooth). Which comes with bluetooth-properties. When running it I'm getting the error:

Cannot start "Personal File Sharing" Preferences
Please verify that the "Personal File Sharing" program is correctly installed.

It seems for ubuntu this means you'll need the package gnome-user-share. BUT:

sudo apt-get install gnome-user-share
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gnome-user-share : Depends: libnautilus-extension1 (>= 2.30) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

Installing blueman doesn't work either:

sudo apt-get install blueman
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
blueman : Depends: python (< 2.7) but 2.7.2-9 is to be installed

Since exchanging files over bluetooth is no rocket science, I'm obviously making a stupid mistake... but what ???

Can somebody help me with this ?

THX !!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Can not receive files from phone/bluetooth

Post by dagon »

jan_goyvaerts wrote: The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gnome-user-share : Depends: libnautilus-extension1 (>= 2.30) but it is not going to be installed
Hi!

What's the output of:

Code: Select all

nautilus --version
jan_goyvaerts

Post by jan_goyvaerts »

Thanks for helping me ! :-)

I'm getting:

Code: Select all

The program 'nautilus' is currently not installed.  To run 'nautilus' please ask your administrator to install the package 'nautilus'
nautilus: command not found
Because I'm using the XFCE desktop I presume...
jan_goyvaerts

Post by jan_goyvaerts »

Is it possible the blueman package dependencies are broken ? Because I could install the package from:

http://pkgs.org/debian-wheezy/debian-ma ... /download/

From there it's a matter of configuration to use Thunar instead of Nautilus:

http://blueman-project.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80
Stuartn

Post by Stuartn »

gnome-user-share should already be installed (if not then sudo apt-get install gnome-user-share), so run gnome-user-share and then ensure that "Receive files in Download folder over Bluetooth" is checked.
Gorai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gorai »

I also have the same problem. I have the gnome-user-share checked as Stuartn suggested but I am not able to receive files from the phone.
Algeorge

Post by Algeorge »

I have the same issue too but even if I try to instantiate gnome-user-share system says file not found even though its installed.
Also other instructions say: Enabling file sharing over Bluetooth; Open the File Sharing Preferences using Preferences ▸ Personal File Sharing in the System menu.
There is no Personal file Sharing in my System menu.

Thanks vm for any replies.
Algeorge

SOLVED: Can not receive files from phone/bluetooth

Post by Algeorge »

There is a difference between file Shared Folders forms of Katya Mint and LMDE.
LMDE does not include the Bluetooth options which is stupid IMHO; you have to instantiate it by
'gnome-file-share-properties'
then you get the attached form which will enable bluetooth receiving:
Skinnx86

Post by Skinnx86 »

I don't know if you have found a solution for this problem yet or not but I came across this website and in the FAQ is the answer I/You was looking for.

To fix this problem either do an apt install of mate-user-share or find and install it via synaptic. This will enable you to receive files from a phone.

Unfortunately I can not browse my phone. Though I think this has something to do with the fact that after a while of people being hijacked via bluetooth, the next specification locked it down/out. I only think this because since that time I have never been able to view another phones files. Well at least you can send and receive.

Here is the link to the site I found.
http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/docs:mate-bluetooth
Thinker

Post by Thinker »

As far as I know, by default receiving a file from a bluetooth device is not possible in Linux Mint. To enable file receiving, install obexftp and Blueman. Then click on bluetooth applet on Gnome Top Panel and make sure that “Device visibility” is on. Files can now be received which will be located at /home/user_name/Public folder which can be changed later on from blueman preferences.

If problem still persists, right click on Blueman applet (normally located at notification area) and choose “Local services”. Under "Transfer" tab, make sure “File Receiving (Object Push)” is enabled
Algeorge

Post by Algeorge »

My bluetooth seems to have come right after only installing blueman, but I am loath to uninstall gnome-bluetooth as it also says Cinamon will be removed.
rocco16v

Post by rocco16v »

I have Mint 15 with Cinnamon x64. Only installed blueman and bluetooth file reception now works perfectly.
lavezarez

Post by lavezarez »

Skinnx86 wrote:I don't know if you have found a solution for this problem yet or not but I came across this website and in the FAQ is the answer I/You was looking for.

To fix this problem either do an apt install of mate-user-share or find and install it via synaptic. This will enable you to receive files from a phone.

Unfortunately I can not browse my phone. Though I think this has something to do with the fact that after a while of people being hijacked via bluetooth, the next specification locked it down/out. I only think this because since that time I have never been able to view another phones files. Well at least you can send and receive.

Here is the link to the site I found.
http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/docs:mate-bluetooth

a big THANK YOU! This solved the problem! I didn't have to install ANYTHING else from my default setup except the mate-user-share package.
I am using Linux Mint release 15 (Olivia) running MATE 1.6.0.
acerlinux

Post by acerlinux »

Thinker wrote:As far as I know, by default receiving a file from a bluetooth device is not possible in Linux Mint. To enable file receiving, install obexftp and Blueman.

1000 Thanx to Thinker!!! This solved my problem under Linux Mint Mate 13.
I got alway the error-message: ""Failed to open "obex://[.......]"
and Connection failed.

Return to “LMDE Archive”