Mate 14 will not log in [Partly Solved]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aconitum

Mate 14 will not log in [Partly Solved]

Post by aconitum »

I've tried LInux Mint Mate vers 14 and 14.1. Both will install and boot OK but I can not log in. Either it doesn't recognize my user name or my password but I've entered them correctly.
I've used Mint since ver 6 and all was well but Mate doesn't log in. I hate Cinamon so I hope someone can point me in the right direction.
Thanks,

To fix this:
At the log in screen type
ctrl-Alt F2
type sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
y
after it installs, type sudo reboot

This will get into Linux Mint Mate 14 but Mate 14 does not have the startup manager, the sound is screwed up -it just buzzes, the additional drivers app is gone from the control panel. Cinnamon seems to get all the work while Mate was just thrown together. Pity, since it's much better than Cinnamon. After updating everything, I was unable to relog in again so I had to manually reinstall (as above) the nvidia driver again (3rd time) before the log in worked..... I've now deleted 14 and gone back to Mate 13, it works correctly.

Clem, this happened in both ver 14 and 14.1, I have a nvidia card and an AMD 64 cpu
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ru1K

Re: Mate 14 will not log in

Post by Ru1K »

forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=116798

Return to “Installation & Boot”