A question on wireless drivers.

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

A question on wireless drivers.

Postby Capt Turk on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:30 am

Can someone explain to me why the drivers for certain cards(Broadcom for me) work fine on install in one version of mint, and then fail to be there, or work, in the next version.
I've tried upgrading to Mint 13 and 14 but neither one recognises my wifi card as even being there. Mint 12 installs and works from the get go.

I've read that Broadcom drivers are propriatary, and if so, why was it ok to include them in one version, and not another?

For those of us that have wifi only, and no ethernet connection, and only one computer, not being able to install with a working wifi REALLY causes a problem. I had to reinstall Mint 12 both times to be able to access the internet at all.
Capt Turk
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: A question on wireless drivers.

Postby lagarto on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:48 pm

I have the same problem; did you find a solution?

Regards,

Gary
lagarto
Level 1
Level 1

Re: A question on wireless drivers.

Postby Capt Turk on Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:50 pm

No, I've not found a solution other than just sticking with Mint 12. I've read a bunch of posts about downloading drivers and stuff onto a usb drive and copying them over. Several other posts say they havve tried this and it didn't work for them. So,,, I've decided to just stick with Mint 12 till an upgrade comes out that works. 12 works quite well for me anyway so I don't really need to upgrade other than just trying to stay current.

I just can't figure out why something works well in one version, and then doesn't work at all in the supposed new and improved version,on the exact same computer that it was working on.
Capt Turk
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Wireless