High Temperature problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deeniel

High Temperature problem

Post by deeniel »

i installed xsensor and i see that my laptop temprature is around 70/80 C° just with fb open.
my sensor version is:
sensors version 3.3.1 with libsensors version 3.3.1
and i have the kernel:
3.5.0-17-generic

Could somebody give me some clue how to make it go down? it keeps turning off every 20 mins like this
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
addegsson

Re: High Temperature problem

Post by addegsson »

What kind of graphic card do you have?
deeniel

Post by deeniel »

I honestly dont know and im a bit lost now here on linuxmint and catn find it lol btw nothing so strong ive got a hp pavillon g62 dual core laptp. Think an ATI RADEON 54xx 56xx dont know

Could this work? http://www.emreciftci.net/2011/07/ubunt ... ature.html i honestly dont want to try random
addegsson

Post by addegsson »

deeniel wrote:I honestly dont know and im a bit lost now here on linuxmint and catn find it lol btw nothing so strong ive got a hp pavillon g62 dual core laptp. Think an ATI RADEON 54xx 56xx dont know

Could this work? http://www.emreciftci.net/2011/07/ubunt ... ature.html i honestly dont want to try random
Which version of Linux Mint do you use? :)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please run this command in terminal and post the output:

Code: Select all

inxi -N
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
deeniel

Post by deeniel »

ive got Nadia 64 bit

inxi -N
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Card-2: Broadcom BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller driver: wl

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtop ... f=6&t=2545
saw this but doesnt work the first command give me error of the path
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I'm sorry that was the wrong command - I gave you the one about network instead of graphics.
Please run:

inxi -Gx
deeniel

Post by deeniel »

Graphics: Card-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: intel Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0 Direct Rendering: Yes

Yeah i saw :D

btw in the link i posted before there is a way to set the automatic HIGH performance of the graphic to LOW.
it tell me to open a file, insert a script inside and check if the last command gives me LOW and it worked! but after an update error, it disapired the file to check if it was LOW and the temperature got HIGH again, any solution?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please install the ATI/AMD graphics driver from the last tab of Software Sources (Mint 14) or Additional Drivers (13 and before). Then it will turn off the ATI GPU, which is even better than having it in low performance mode.
deeniel

Post by deeniel »

i do have checked the ATI/AMD (open source, tested) driver.
else i have 2 ATI driver (proprietary)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please check the 2nd option for the graphics instead.
deeniel

Post by deeniel »

inxi -Gx:
Graphics: Card-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: intel Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A

I honestly tried all and all give me the same temperature
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Ok, the ATI driver is clearly not working for you, it probably hasn't turned off the card either like it's supposed to do. Please try running this after installing fglrx:

sudo aticonfig --initial -f
deeniel

Post by deeniel »

first of all thnk u for your continous help :)

Uninitialised file found, configuring.
PowerXpress info: Diagnostic output from /usr/lib/fglrx/switchlibglx:
update-alternatives: attenzione: viene forzata l'installazione dell'alternativa /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf poiché il gruppo x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf è danneggiato
update-alternatives: attenzione: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules non viene sostituito con un collegamento

Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Saving back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original-0
It say that the installation of the alternative is forced because x86_64glinux... is damaged. Btw this driver also change my Mint UI.
deeniel

Post by deeniel »

I chose the 3rd one and rebooted and it gives me a blue screen. I can click ok and then turn off

Edit: i checked online for this solution , no one worked so i had to reinstall Mint xD and im still with the high temperature problem.

I want to set to low the performance of my graphic with ( echo "low" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile ) but the path doesnt exist. In my first installation it existed then it disapired dont know how. i reinstalled Mint and still not there. I dont now what that file is so is there a way to recreate it and set it to low?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Maybe you need to replace card0 by card1. Also when an fglrx or Catalyst driver is installed the file won't be there.

You could at least put this command into /etc/rc.local twice, once with card0 and once with card1.
deeniel

Post by deeniel »

i put again th open source one because the second was givin me also a different UI and was horrible and less "easy". i tried with card1 and now card1 is low but i cant understand the differene from card 1 and 0. first time worked with 0 and opensource driver. Now i still have open source driver and i guess it worked using card 1 :) thnk :D
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

That card0 or card1 can be different, is because one of them is the Intel GPU and one of them is the AMD one: which one gets detected first is fairly random.

Since your laptop wouldn't work with AMD's driver, it is probably still muxed hybrid instead of muxless. Please run this in terminal:

sudo ls -l /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
If it returns file not found, we're unable to power down the GPU completely; low power state is at the moment the best you can get. If the file exists it is maybe possible to get it powered down, using:

sudo sh -c "echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch"
deeniel

Post by deeniel »

It exist and i typed the second command :) thnk

daniel@HP-G62 ~ $ sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +37.0°C (crit = +90.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +35.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +90.0°C)
Core 2: +35.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +90.0°C)

radeon-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1: -128.0°C
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

I seem to recall poeple having problems turning off the discrete ATI GPU with an Intel integrated card. This was a while ago though. the ATI proprietary driver (fglrx) would break their system too. A fix I saw was turning off one of the GPUs in the BIOS. Usually, they turned off the ATI GPU since Intel's open driver is better.
Also, your temperature sensor on your GPU isn't working. The chip cannot work if it's -128°C.

And not that it pertains to your exact issue, I lowered my load temps from 55-60°C to 40-45°C by replacing the thermal paste on my CPU. It's quite involved and requires taking your laptop apart. It will probably void your warranty too.

Return to “Beginner Questions”