How do I save all my updates

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
claudecat

Re: How do I save all my updates

Post by claudecat »

Yes. Simply copy the contents of /var/cache/apt/archives (that's where all your updates and additions are cached) onto a flash drive (or something) and copy the files back to the same location after you reinstall. I do this all the time to keep 2 machines updated without using too much bandwidth. The fun part is taking the laptop to someplace with free fast wifi and doing the updates, thereby keeping my bandwidth cap at home under control.

BTW, this basic process is possible with all versions of linux - with varying degrees of difficulty. Yet another reason it's superior to mainstream OS's.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
weirddan455

Post by weirddan455 »

I haven't done this personally but if you put them back in that cache folder just run from console

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
It's the same command you would normally use to update but it should check the cache folder first before downloading anything new.
claudecat

Post by claudecat »

weirddan has it exactly right - packages in the cache folder will be used rather than downloaded again. This is true no matter which method you use to update (Mintupdate, Synaptic, Software Centre or command line apt-get).
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

First ,copy files in /var/cache/apt/archives ( don't copy partial folder and lock file) to your home folder , create folder ( example master deb ) and paste to it

I always this method to install update to all my machine ,with certain condition:
-open source driver in use, example if one your machine used proprietary NVIDIA driver but another one using intel, you must remove nvidia package first.
-same desktop environment. Cinnamon , kde , mate have different specific file.
- if you are using different DE, you can run update manager and compare file in update manager to master deb folder , remove file which not listed in update manager list. ( this is vey annoying to me :lol: )
Than , use synaptic package manager . click file>add downloaded package , point it to master deb folder.

Return to “Beginner Questions”