How to install compiz on Linux Mint 14 Nadia Mate edition:

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Brahim Salem

How to install compiz on Linux Mint 14 Nadia Mate edition:

Post by Brahim Salem »

1- install the followig packages:

- compiz-gnome
- compizconfig-settings-manager
- fusion-icon
- compiz-plugins-extra
- libdecoration0-dev

2- In terminal run "compiz --replace" or run Compiz Fusion Icon and choose compiz as your window manager.

3- Go to Startup Applications click on add and in the name field write "compiz" and in the command field enter "compiz --replace"(without the punctuation) click on Add again then Close. This is to make compiz start automatically on next logins.

4- To stop that high CPU usage run in terminal “mateconf-editor”. When the editor opens go to /desktop/mate/session/required_components/windowmanager and replace "marco" with "compiz".

3- install "dconf-editor" by runnig in terminal:

sudo apt-get install dconf-tools

Then press ALT + F2 and run: "dconf-editor", navigate to org > gnome > desktop > vm > preferences and change the "theme" value from "Adwaita" to any other installed theme you want. Remember this because in the same place you can also change the window button layout, among others.

Note: compiz has been forked for Mate a few months back. You can find it athttp://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=114613 with a complete tutorial as on how to install it !! Check it out It rocks!! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xclusive585

Re: How to install compiz on Linux Mint 14 Nadia Mate editio

Post by xclusive585 »

Thanks for re-posting old news, But they have a proper Compiz fork for Mate already, for a few months now.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=114613
Last edited by xclusive585 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Thanks for writing that and for your great contribution to Mate community :D

FYI: THE following packages have been removed from the repositories of Ubuntu 12.10 and its derivatives:

- emerald
- compiz-fusion-plugins-extra

And it would be a great idea to try the new compiz you made!! Cheers Jasmine!!

:( :)
Last edited by Brahim Salem on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
xclusive585

Post by xclusive585 »

Brahim wrote:Thanks for writing that and for your great contribution to Mate community but plz note that the following packages have been removed from the repositories of Ubuntu 12.10 and its derivatives:
- emerald
- compiz-fusion-plugins-extra

:( :)
Doncha hate when they do that.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I guess that gives me a good reason to try Jasmine's compiz :D !! i have always hated this Ubuntu!!! But hey way to go!! :D
enric

Post by enric »

Hi, i try this tutorial in Linux Mint 14 x64 with Mate but windows doesn't have borders. I try the fork (compiz 0.8.8) but when i try to install some package it says that some dependecies will not installed.
It is posible that compiz is not compatible with 64 bit version?

I see this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZbdT51L2FQ but i try this and doesn't work. Windows doesn't show. And desktop cube only show 1 of the 4 desktop i configure.

Thanks a lot and sorry my english please.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Unread postby enric on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:02 am
Hi, i try this tutorial in Linux Mint 14 x64 with Mate but windows doesn't have borders
Actualy this works for both 32bit and 64bit. Make sure that you have the following packages installed:

- compiz-gnome
- compizconfig-settings-manager
- fusion-icon
- compiz-plugins-extra
- libdecoration0-dev

and don't forget to check 'window decoration' in compizconfig-settings-manager under 'Effects' section!! :D
enric

Post by enric »

Thanks a lot. I solve the problem enable window decoration, window move and namespace. To solve compiz cube i go to general options -> desktop size and set to 4 1 1 (horitzontal size, vertical size, and numer of desktops respectively).
Rubisco

Post by Rubisco »

Seems to be working, the cube, windows move, but one problems remains: I can't change the title bar theme. Any help?
AJ1000

Post by AJ1000 »

To change the title bar theme, use ubuntu tweak.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”