command to switch language needed to create shortcut

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
charan27

command to switch language needed to create shortcut

Post by charan27 »

Hi Everyone,

I've been using Kubuntu Precise on my MacBook 3,1 for a couple of weeks and was quite satisfied, but I have read that Linux Mint is more Mac-like and wanted to try it out. I just installed Maya (Cinnamon) this morning and updated it with Nadia backport. All I can say is that it is a true beauty.

So far I have installed Thai language package and been able to use it without problem; except for the fact that I can't find or create a keyboard shortcut to toggle between English and Thai. So to switch to the other language I have to click on the flag icon which is quite uncool.

I found in "System Settings" that a custom shortcut can be created in "Keyboard" section, but the right command had to be entered that would be equivalent to clicking the flag icon. Could someone tell me what command that would be? While using Kubuntu I was able to assigned "alt-space" for toggling the two layouts and already unbound it from window menu shortcut in Maya. Just need to know the rigth command is all.

Best Regards,
Sumeth
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jim1938

Re: command to switch language needed to create shortcut

Post by Jim1938 »

I'm using Mint 13 xfce 64.bit on a diy pc.

Here is how I was able to create a dual language (EN & DK) keyboard.
I change languages by pressing ctrl and shift together
with my left pinky finger. EZ PZ.

I have no idea what MacBook file system is like,
but this may give you some ideas.

On my pc I go to etc/default/keyboard and find
the following settings in keyboard:

XKBMODEL="pc105" <<== Edit for your keyboard model.
XKBLAYOUT="us,dk" <<== Edit for your languages.
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS="grp:ctrl_shift_toggle" <<== Edit if you want a different keys.

This also has worked with Ubuntu 10.04 and Crunchbang 10.

How did you get a desktop language indicator?
I have one in Ubuntu gnome, but not in xfce or openbox desktops.

Edit your Question as [SOLVED} if this solves it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”