How do I add additional keyboard language?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sirusdark

How do I add additional keyboard language?

Post by sirusdark »

Hi!

Quick question:
-How do we add additional keyboard language in LinuxMint? And/or how to change it?

I'd like to be able to use other languages and to switch on the fly the keyboard's language so that I can use different localized characters... like for French. German, Spanish, etc. (In Windows it's a piece of cake to do, but in LinuxMint, I can't). Just to make it clear, I mean only the keyboard's language, not the OS.

All I see in the keyboard layout's setting menu is "English" choices (Menu > System Tools > System Settings > Keyboard Layout)

My Linux version : Linux LinuxMint12 3.0.0-12-generic #20-Ubuntu SMP

Thanks!
Sirus
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How do I add additional keyboard language?

Post by xenopeek »

sirusdark wrote:All I see in the keyboard layout's setting menu is "English" choices (Menu > System Tools > System Settings > Keyboard Layout)
That's just not true. What do you suppose the + (plus) icon on the bottom of the list would do? :D
Jim1938

Re: How do I add additional keyboard language?

Post by Jim1938 »

LM13xfce & a diy pc.

Here is how I was able to create a dual language (EN & DK) keyboard.
abc ...æøå
I change languages by pressing ctrl and shift together
with my left pinky finger. EZ PZ. :)
No desktop language indicator. :(

Go to etc/default/keyboard
XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="us,dk" <<== edit for your languages
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS="grp:ctrl_shift_toggle" <<== edit for your toggle key(s)

If this solves your issue, please edit your question as [SOLVED]

Return to “Beginner Questions”