see linux 8 in windows 8 UEFI boot screen?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xVermicide

see linux 8 in windows 8 UEFI boot screen?

Post by xVermicide »

hi, i know this seems like an obvious question but i'm new to UEFI and the new windows 8 boot loader.

i'm wondering if it will ever be possible to have linux boot through the graphical win8 boot interface. my PC has windows 8 pro installed in UEFI mode, and i've seen the interface to choose an operating system in videos. but obviously the only choices were different windows versions. so would having linux boot through the windows loader ever be possible? or we'll always have to use GRUB?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Re: see linux 8 in windows 8 UEFI boot screen?

Post by srs5694 »

I don't know of any way to have the Windows EFI boot loader redirect to another EFI boot loader. That said, I could simply be unaware of the option, so it may be possible but I just don't know how to do it.

There are other options, though. My Web page on EFI boot loaders describes several EFI boot loaders for Linux and boot managers. GRUB 2 is one of these, but if you don't like it, you could use any of several others. My rEFInd and gummiboot deserve special mention, since they're boot managers that enable you to switch between boot loaders. They can also both boot 3.3.0 and later Linux kernels directly, bypassing GRUB entirely. You'd need to disable or reconfigure Secure Boot to use either of them, although I'm working on providing support for Shim and MOK in rEFInd.
xVermicide

Post by xVermicide »

i've read your thread about rEFInd, i was looking into it. i read LM14 is not able to install in UEFI mode. is this still true or has it been fixed?
are there any pictures or videos of your rEFInd?
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

xVermicide wrote:i've read your thread about rEFInd, i was looking into it. i read LM14 is not able to install in UEFI mode. is this still true or has it been fixed?
There was an announcement a day or two ago that Mint 14.1 now includes the fixes to the EFI installation support.
are there any pictures or videos of your rEFInd?
See its Web site.

Return to “Installation & Boot”