Copy-paste from Firefox to pluma

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BarryButler

Copy-paste from Firefox to pluma

Post by BarryButler »

I seem to be unable to copy text from a Firefox page to a text file in pluma. How come?

This is my first install and I'm just getting started. The PC is Win8 with Mint in VirtualBox; so I don't know if this is a Mint, VirtualBox or Win8 issue.

Thanks for any ideas,

BB
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mik3e
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Copy-paste from Firefox to pluma

Post by Mik3e »

I selected the following text in your message in Firefox: text from a Firefox page
I pressed ctrl-c for copy, opened pluma, pressed crtl-v for paste, and it worked.
I left Firefox open during the operation (perhaps that's the issue), came back to the forum and pasted the above in this message.
BarryButler

Post by BarryButler »

Thanks much for your feedback! Your response prompted me to do a bit more investigating.

It turns out I was trying to edit a file (/etc/nginx/nginx.conf) as a regular user and needed root authority.

My bad.

It's times like this that it's much easier to operate as root. I know this is considered bad form but it's just a pita to have to keep sudu-ing when your doing supervisor's work.

So, with that in mind, how do you su into the root user?

Thanks again,

BB
olle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by olle »

In your case I would open the terminal and:

Code: Select all

gksu pluma /etc/nginx/nginx.conf
BarryButler

Post by BarryButler »

olle wrote:In your case I would open the terminal and:

gksu pluma /etc/nginx/nginx.conf
Thanks for the feedback but it doesn't address the question.

I know I can do what you suggest. In fact that's exactly what I did to be able to edit the file.

But when you're setting up or doing heavy maintenance you don't want to sudo into every application individually. That's where the pita factor comes in.

So, how do I login as root?

Thanks,

BB
BoscoBearbank
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BoscoBearbank »

Beware the dangers, but here's how I do it:

sudo su -
And with this power comes the power to do really nasty things to one's system. Been there, done that, have the bucket of tears to prove it.
BarryButler

Post by BarryButler »

BoscoBearbank wrote:Beware the dangers, but here's how I do it:

sudo su -
And with this power comes the power to do really nasty things to one's system. Been there, done that, have the bucket of tears to prove it.
Thanks!

The warnings are well taken.

BB

Return to “Beginner Questions”