Mint 14: Cinnamon session won't login, Gnome will

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gurtz
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 14: Cinnamon session won't login, Gnome will

Post by gurtz »

I have just installed Mint 14 using the latest Ubiquity installer (to allow for full disc encryption). The details are in this post:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=118398

It mostly seems to work, until I try to get past the Login screen. When I enter my username and password and press enter ... the screen goes black for a second or two, then there is some log info down the left that only lasts for a split second (so I can't read it), and then it returns me to the Login screen.

If I change the Session to "GNOME Classic" or "GNOME Classic (No effects)", it works fine and I can log in. But with Session set to "Cinnamon" or "Cinnamon 2D" it does not work. By the way, Cinnamon works just fine via the Live CD.

Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong?

Also, can someone tell me how to view that log information that flashes by too quickly to read? [For some reason the System Log viewer tool doesn't seem to work...]

Thanks,
Greg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gurtz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 14: Cinnamon session won't login, Gnome will

Post by gurtz »

Problem solved. Turns out I had to install Nvidia drivers. This post provided the answer:

forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=116798

Cinnamon is now working :-)

Return to “Installation & Boot”