Unable to mount Floppy Disk

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Postby ave13co on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:26 am

Just finished installing Mint 14 Nadia. Formatted harddrive and downloaded iso from this site.
Whats the deal with the floppy on my system? First thing after booting to new install and I see the following.....

Error mounting system-managed device /dev/fd0: Command-line `mount "/media/floppy0"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device

Thanks in advance..ave13co :?:
ave13co
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Unable to mount Floppy Disk

Postby cwsnyder on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:59 am

First, do you actually have a floppy drive installed in your computer? Second, was said floppy drive working under your previous operating system?
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM16 Mate 64-bit
Debian Xfce 64-bit, Xubuntu 13.10 64-bit, Xubuntu Trusty Tahr 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS LXDE 64-bit
cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Postby AlbertP on Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:07 am

Please run this command in terminal to mount your floppy:
Code: Select all
udisks --mount /dev/fd0
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Postby remoulder on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:13 am

Another thing to check is whether there is a floppy interface enabled in the BIOS even if there's no actual drive in the machine.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Postby Gord on Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:41 am

remoulder wrote:Another thing to check is whether there is a floppy interface enabled in the BIOS even if there's no actual drive in the machine.

That was the tip I needed to fix the problem on my VMware virtual machine: it had no floppy drive but the VM's BIOS thought that it did. Thanks!
Gord
Level 1
Level 1

Postby remoulder on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:10 am

@ave13co, if you are still having this issue, please open a terminal and copy/paste here the output of lsmod

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Postby remoulder on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:43 am

Further info at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1054414 particularly #42/43. The issue may be fixed when the updates filter down

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Postby Anto on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:51 pm

Hello,

Gord wrote:
remoulder wrote:Another thing to check is whether there is a floppy interface enabled in the BIOS even if there's no actual drive in the machine.

That was the tip I needed to fix the problem on my VMware virtual machine: it had no floppy drive but the VM's BIOS thought that it did. Thanks!

I think I'm facing exactly the same issue: but how did you access your VMware Bios ? I'm hammering the F2 key during the VM's startup, but can't access it.
Anto
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Gord on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:02 am

Anto wrote:
Gord wrote:

I think I'm facing exactly the same issue: but how did you access your VMware Bios ? I'm hammering the F2 key during the VM's startup, but can't access it.

It can be a bit tricky because keyboard input needs to be directed to the virtual machine. The most reliable way to do it is to restart the virtual machine and not click anything outside the VM window while it reboots. That way the keyboard remains "connected" to the VM and passes your [F2] to the VM BIOS so you can get into the Setup menus. (You can do it on the initial boot but you have to make sure that you click inside the VM window at just the right moment before the setup prompt goes away.)
Gord
Level 1
Level 1

Postby schubert on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:28 pm

Anto wrote:Hello,

Gord wrote:

I use VMWare Workstation 8, there is a menu item /Power->Power On to BIOS
schubert
Level 1
Level 1

Postby eco2geek on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:58 am

remoulder wrote:Further info at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1054414 particularly #42/43. The issue may be fixed when the updates filter down

Thanks for that. I got the error message the OP mentions after installing Nadia 14 MATE, and I do have a real floppy installed on my physical system. Simply blacklisting the "floppy" module in /etc/modprobe.d stopped the error message. Of course, I can no longer mount a floppy disk, but then it was hardly ever used anyway. :wink:
eco2geek
Level 1
Level 1

Postby smackoz on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:02 am

Gord wrote:
Anto wrote:
Gord wrote:That was the tip I needed to fix the problem on my VMware virtual machine: it had no floppy drive but the VM's BIOS thought that it did. Thanks!

It can be a bit tricky because keyboard input needs to be directed to the virtual machine. The most reliable way to do it is to restart the virtual machine and not click anything outside the VM window while it reboots. That way the keyboard remains "connected" to the VM and passes your [F2] to the VM BIOS so you can get into the Setup menus. (You can do it on the initial boot but you have to make sure that you click inside the VM window at just the right moment before the setup prompt goes away.)

This did the trick nicely for VMware Fusion 5. :D I disabled the fdd in the the VMware Bios. No more "Unable to mount Floppy Disk" error message in Linux Mint 14.1.

:roll:
smackoz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby johnston73 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:40 pm

+1
Gord wrote:

johnston73
Level 1
Level 1

Postby oxman on Wed May 01, 2013 1:21 pm

My problem is that my floppy also is used to mount other types of memory storage devices such as SD or mini SD.
ox is grateful http://www.singingfalls.com linux user #199890
oxman
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions