Linux Mint 13 Maya - Wine will not install

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LucienVex

Linux Mint 13 Maya - Wine will not install

Post by LucienVex »

Hello,

I am very new to Linux and the first thing I tried to install was Wine so that I could install the drivers for my USB Adaptor. Anyways, I am not sure if this has been addressed or not yet, I did some looking around on the forums and couldn't find anything like this problem. So if I am beating a dead horse or if I have posted this in the wrong place, I appoligize.

The problem I am having is this: I opened the Software Manager, did a search for Wine, clicked Wine, clicked install, the "* on going actions" progress bar went from 0 to 1 and when I clicked on it I could see Wine installing. Everything went fine until Wine got to 54%. It is now stuck on 54% and the status for it says "waiting for config file promt". It has been like this for several hours so I came here to see if I could find a solution. While looking I found that some people recomend using the Synaptic Package Manager. I tried this and got a dialog window more or less saying that since the Software Manager is attempting to do this task that the Synaptic Package Manager can not process it. I figured "No big deal, I will just cancel the install in Software Manager". Now this is where the real problem seems to come in. When I right click on Wine in the Software Manager, the option is cancel the install is shaded and I can not click it.

So, my question is this: Is this a common problem with an easy solution, or just any solution really, or has my stuborn egotism bested me once again and I mistakenly made a rather massive boo boo?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated and I thank all in advance that give any input.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Linux Mint 13 Maya - Wine will not install

Post by karlchen »

Hello, LucienVex.

The confirmation dialogue which your system is waiting for is a common step during the initial Wine installation. Wine will bring along some genuine Windows files. Installating these files will ask you to accept the license terms.
So there may be a confirmation dialogue lurking in the background, maybe covered by a larger foreground window. Try to locate it and agree to the license terms. Then the Wine installation should proceed and finish successfully.
Personally I always use Synaptic Package Manager in order to install/update/remove software. Installing Wine has always worked perfectly fine for me.

Good luck,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
LucienVex

Post by LucienVex »

Thanks,

I was able to get Wine to finish installing, now I just need to figure out how to use it, lol. But I suppose this is not the place for that.

Thanks again for the input though.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, LucienVex.

Congratulation that you have managed to finish the Wine installation successfully.
Keeping mind that Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, this may be a good article on how to use Wine: Using Wine on Ubuntu.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Software & Applications”