Linux Mint 13 Maya - Wine will not install

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Linux Mint 13 Maya - Wine will not install

Postby LucienVex on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:00 am

Hello,

I am very new to Linux and the first thing I tried to install was Wine so that I could install the drivers for my USB Adaptor. Anyways, I am not sure if this has been addressed or not yet, I did some looking around on the forums and couldn't find anything like this problem. So if I am beating a dead horse or if I have posted this in the wrong place, I appoligize.

The problem I am having is this: I opened the Software Manager, did a search for Wine, clicked Wine, clicked install, the "* on going actions" progress bar went from 0 to 1 and when I clicked on it I could see Wine installing. Everything went fine until Wine got to 54%. It is now stuck on 54% and the status for it says "waiting for config file promt". It has been like this for several hours so I came here to see if I could find a solution. While looking I found that some people recomend using the Synaptic Package Manager. I tried this and got a dialog window more or less saying that since the Software Manager is attempting to do this task that the Synaptic Package Manager can not process it. I figured "No big deal, I will just cancel the install in Software Manager". Now this is where the real problem seems to come in. When I right click on Wine in the Software Manager, the option is cancel the install is shaded and I can not click it.

So, my question is this: Is this a common problem with an easy solution, or just any solution really, or has my stuborn egotism bested me once again and I mistakenly made a rather massive boo boo?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated and I thank all in advance that give any input.
LucienVex
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint 13 Maya - Wine will not install

Postby karlchen on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:10 am

Hello, LucienVex.

The confirmation dialogue which your system is waiting for is a common step during the initial Wine installation. Wine will bring along some genuine Windows files. Installating these files will ask you to accept the license terms.
So there may be a confirmation dialogue lurking in the background, maybe covered by a larger foreground window. Try to locate it and agree to the license terms. Then the Wine installation should proceed and finish successfully.
Personally I always use Synaptic Package Manager in order to install/update/remove software. Installing Wine has always worked perfectly fine for me.

Good luck,
Karl
Enlightened by Lucid Lynx, enchanted by Maya, impressed by Petra.
karlchen
Level 9
Level 9

Postby LucienVex on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:30 pm

Thanks,

I was able to get Wine to finish installing, now I just need to figure out how to use it, lol. But I suppose this is not the place for that.

Thanks again for the input though.
LucienVex
Level 1
Level 1

Postby karlchen on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:01 pm

Hello, LucienVex.

Congratulation that you have managed to finish the Wine installation successfully.
Keeping mind that Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, this may be a good article on how to use Wine: Using Wine on Ubuntu.

Kind regards,
Karl
Enlightened by Lucid Lynx, enchanted by Maya, impressed by Petra.
karlchen
Level 9
Level 9

Return to Software & Applications