Error while installing LM14

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fabi

Error while installing LM14

Post by fabi »

Well, I was having some problems with Win8 and after years of friends trying to convince me to migrate to Linux, I decided to try.
I installed LMDE on Thursday and since then, I already reinstalled it about 4 times, I gave up and tried the Mint 14 (3 reinstalls).
In all cases, a few hours after starting to install things (aka drivers, applications, etc.), the system crashes.
At every little thing I need to install, I'm afraid of what will happen. Every reboot, can not to startup.
And the worst thing is that, with more than 5 reinstalls and I dont know how many problems (involving things like booting, partitions that refuse to be mounted, video card, etc), I really have reason to be afraid.
I decided to migrate the for supposed stability, but I never felt this way (ok, on win95, maybe ..)
Guys, what do I do? It is not possible that every newbie go through this .. and I know my hardware is ok and I know I'm not a stupid girl .. then, what's happening??
For now, after an error that forbade me to boot because the system disk that does not want to mount, I'm on livecd writing this after having formatted it AGAIN and be passing e2fsck-c in the partition, hoping it might give me some answer about how can I be having so many problems while for the majority, I believe, everything is beautiful ..

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Where is the stability??

Post by xenopeek »

If you are on Linux Mint 14 now, please open the terminal application and run the following command. Post the output here. This will tell us something about your hardware. You can copy text to/from the terminal, see its Edit menu.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
fabi

Post by fabi »

Thanks for the quick reply
I'm still on the liveCD, but the data that you asked are these ...

System:    
Host: mint 
Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.2) 
Desktop: Gnome 
Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia

Machine:   
Mobo: N/A 
model: PCWARE APMCP68 
Bios: American Megatrends 
version: P1.10 date: 03/31/2011

CPU:       Hexa core AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips: 33752.8 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 2800.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz 5: 800.00 MHz 6: 800.00 MHz

Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Juniper LE [Radeon HD 6700 Series] bus-ID: 02:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD JUNIPER GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0 Direct Rendering: Yes

Audio:     Card-1: NVIDIA MCP61 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:05.0 Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.25
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series] driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 02:00.1
           Card-3: Arkmicro driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 18ec:3299

Network:   Card: NVIDIA MCP61 Ethernet driver: forcedeth port: d480 bus-ID: 00:07.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>

Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1002.2GB (-) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD10EARS size: 1000.2GB temp: 39C 
           2: USB id: /dev/sdb model: Flash_Disk size: 2.0GB temp: 0C 
Partition: ID: / size: 3.9G used: 122M (4%) fs: overlayfs ID: swap-1 size: 0.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 

RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present

Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 25.5C mobo: N/A gpu: 53.0 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 

Info:      
Processes: 207 
Uptime: 1:46 
Memory: 1036.3/7986.5MB 
Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.7.2 
Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
fabi

Post by fabi »

I was tryint to reinstall, and it show this error

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "usr/lib/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_ui.py", line 1391, in watch_debconf_fd_helper return callback(source, debconf_condition)
  File "usr/lib/ubiquity/filteredcommand.py", line 252, in process_input self.status=self.wait()
  File "usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/filteredcommand.py", line 148, in wait self.cleanup()
  File "usr/lib/ubiquity/plugins/ubi-partman.py", line 2867, in cleanup self.preseed('grub-installer/bootdev', self.ui.get_grub_choice())
  File "usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/filteredcommand.py", line 342, in preseed self.db.set(name, value)
  File "usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/debconf.py". line 66, in command self.write.write("%s %s\n" % (command, ' '.join(map(str, params))))
ValueError: I/O operation on closed file

xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Error while installing LM14

Post by xenopeek »

I'm not sure what would be causing this error. I've updated your topic title and moved it here for help from others with this. Noted that the error seems to be from the step where it would ask you where to install GRUB. As that was an error in the Linux Mint 14 ISOs for certain systems (EFI), you may want to try a Linux Mint 14.1 ISO instead. See description here: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2234
fabi

Re: Error while installing LM14

Post by fabi »

xenopeek wrote:I'm not sure what would be causing this error. I've updated your topic title and moved it here for help from others with this. Noted that the error seems to be from the step where it would ask you where to install GRUB. As that was an error in the Linux Mint 14 ISOs for certain systems (EFI), you may want to try a Linux Mint 14.1 ISO instead. See description here: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2234
Well, I downloaded the iso at 12:30:00 p.m. Saturday December 1, 2012 (PST) from the Brazil's mirror, so I think that it was already 14.1, am I right?

As I think that maybe my partition table was corrupted somehow after all these attempts, I am about to ask liveCD to rebuild it.. wish me luck :?

EDIT: Although I reinstalled, the error with the partitions occurred again.

Apparently, for some reason I have not figured out, the system chage the main partition (/) to read-only.
When I restart because of that, the system does not mount or says that the number of blocks in the partition is incorrect.
And a message saying the it could not load the serverX by an internal error.
After several fscks, and I being prepared to download another distro, the system restarted and managed to be ok, seemingly by itself :shock:
Sadly, I do not know how long will last my joy, because I did not see what it recouver itself ..
One thing I found strange, after fscks, it changed my partitions (from sda2/sda3/sda4 to sd5/sd6/sd7 respectively).

I am using the system, do not know for how long. But even for me the problem MAY have been resolved, the post may help another poor newbie .. so, anyone who has any information, please share and help :wink:

PS Would you move to another category and reedit the title, since the error is not always in the installation?

Return to “Installation & Boot”