transparent terminal?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wilbso

transparent terminal?

Post by wilbso »

is there an extention or something that changes the way that my terminal looks like?
iv seen on ubuntu that the terminal is transparent! i liked it. is there a way to get that on linux mint 12? i would really like a transparant backround terminal
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: transparent terminal?

Post by viking777 »

Edit>profile preferences>Background tab>Transparent
wewa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wewa »

Unlike other distros, transparent background in terminal, is showing desktop wallpaper.
How do I set it to show browser windows and other directly behind windows, and not the desktop. That is useless when trying to follow instructions on this forum and trying to type in the commands.

Thanks.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

in the background tab you have 3 options:
- if you chose "Transparent background" does it does what you want?
rmarcandier

Post by rmarcandier »

Last edited by rmarcandier on Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

For true transparency you must be using compositing. Are you running Cinnamon or something else?
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I read, sounded interesting,so I tried it. This is on Mint 13 KDE. I opened terminal ( Konsole ), settings, appearance, highlited the color scheme I am using, and clicked edit. There is a slider for background transparency 0-100%. I moved it to 100%. I now have the terminal frame with a 100% transparent text window. It might look unique but I think it would be easier to miss a typo.

EDIT: I see what you want, took a minute. A transparent text window lets you see the the code to be typed right thru the terminal app. Yes, this is exactly what I have now. I dragged terminal around and whatever was under it showed thru, this forum, wallpaper, running Conky etc.

Maybe Konsole, used in KDE, is another version of Terminal? Maybe someone knows if it can easily be installed in Cinnamon or Mate?
xereeto

Post by xereeto »

You need to use a compositing window manager such as Compiz. Try it, it comes with other cool features too.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Definitely don't install compiz in your Cinnamon session, they don't work together. Cinnamon is tied to Muffin same way Gnome Shell is tied to Mutter.
nsynet

Post by nsynet »

so how to achieve the transparent terminal effect? does anyone already do it?......
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

You can certainly do it in the latest version of Cinnamon.

Edit Menu/Profile Preferences/Background and select transparent background. (You can also adjust the opacity, so you can see through it, but it's not completely transparent, to make the text easier to see.)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

see if this way it helps

cinnamon

mate
legion1978
Level 1
Level 1

Post by legion1978 »

hello.
is there a way to do this with all other [or some] windows on cinnamon? maybe some undocumented/obscure/hidden setting in mufffin or cinnamon files?

thanx
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

legion1978 wrote:hello.
is there a way to do this with all other [or some] windows on cinnamon? maybe some undocumented/obscure/hidden setting in mufffin or cinnamon files?

thanx
not ootb at the moment (as far as i know) but see this amazing work here >> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 76#p654727
legion1978
Level 1
Level 1

Post by legion1978 »

zerozero wrote:
legion1978 wrote:hello.

thanx
not ootb at the moment (as far as i know) but see this amazing work here >> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 76#p654727

Cool. very interesting. thank you.
ill follow up over there :)
thanos

Post by thanos »

No need for Compiz (at least at Maya Mate).

For a full transparent terminal, after enabling transparent background in the terminal preferences, just Go:
Menu->Preferences->Desktop Settings->Windows and enable "Use compositing"
Maybe you want to go to Terminal and enable "fortune cookies" as well :)
vikar

Post by vikar »

thanos wrote:No need for Compiz (at least at Maya Mate).

For a full transparent terminal, after enabling transparent background in the terminal preferences, just Go:
Menu->Preferences->Desktop Settings->Windows and enable "Use compositing"
Maybe you want to go to Terminal and enable "fortune cookies" as well :)
Thanks, this solve my problem, terminal transparent only show desktop background. :D

Return to “Cinnamon”