Whats Goin' On Here?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
derpie28

Whats Goin' On Here?

Post by derpie28 »

Hey, This is a real newbie question, but when I go to install packages, they appear in applications right? Well when I install "certain" applicatons, they say they install but i cant find them under applications or when i type it in the search bar... Is there some way to run them in the terminal? :?

P.S. Im using linux mint 14 :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gord

Re: Whats Goin' On Here?

Post by Gord »

derpie28 wrote:when I install "certain" applicatons, they say they install but i cant find them under applications or when i type it in the search bar... Is there some way to run them in the terminal? :?
Probably. Can you give us an example of one of these "certain" applications you're talking about?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Exactly, give some examples. Very probably you are installing command line applications, which indeed are intended to be run in the terminal. Those of course don't create a menu entry (that would be silly and pointless). Normally you run the progra just by typing its name (in lower case) in the terminal, check online documentation if it doesn't.
derpie28

Post by derpie28 »

Oh, I installed remmina and its not anywhere in my applications, ans yes i did install it from software manager. It claims to be a gnome application.
derpie28

Post by derpie28 »

xenopeek wrote:Those of course don't create a menu entry (that would be silly and pointless). Normally you run the progra just by typing its name (in lower case) in the terminal.
OH WAIT! it worked! Thanks! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
n180

Post by n180 »

Thanks, typing "remmina" in terminal worked for me too, after spending ages trying to figure out where it had disappeared to after install, when it did not appear in applications. I even read in a tutorial for using remmina, that after installing it on linux it you can access it via applications. Quite annoying for newbs. Out of curiosity, why does it not appear in applications and how can I create a shortcut icon for it to put it on desktop or panel if I can only access it through terminal?
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Install the gui that goes with it. Think it is remina-gtk or gui or somesuch. Open package manager ang search for it.

Scratch that, Just installed it myself and it works OK. Must have got mixed up with something else. Sorry. :?
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1

Return to “Beginner Questions”