Mint Backup stalls

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
magicfish

Mint Backup stalls

Post by magicfish »

I'm having a problem with Mint Backup. It stalls at the same spot every time.
It stalls at 2620/4202 - Backing up: .amazonmp3/pipe - Calculating Checksum
I would try excluding .amazonmp3/pipe but I can't even find where it is.
Does anyone know how I can find the hidden .amazonmp3 directory?
It does not show up in search in the file browser.
I checked the backed up files and there is a .amazonmp3 but it just has 1 file in it. It doesn't show where the original is located and I think I need that in order to exclude it from the backup.
Or is there a way to exclude all amazon files?

Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Mint Backup stalls

Post by proxima_centauri »

Press Ctrl+H in filebrowser to show hidden fIles/folders, it's in your user's home folder.
magicfish

Post by magicfish »

Thanks, I was looking in File System with hidden files on, but I guess I didn't have hidden files on when looking in home.
BigBaaadBob

Post by BigBaaadBob »

Yes, but: it stalls for me too and what good is a backup utility if it doesn't backup all your files? I suspect this tool isn't mature enough to depend on. Suggest the good old standby rsync.
foxesglacier

Post by foxesglacier »

I have the exact same problem with the backup stalling on .amazonmp3/pipe at the calculating checksum stage. Seems to me backup has two issues here a) the presenting problem and b) the inability (it seems) to actually select this hidden folder as an excluded folder in the excluded files/folders window. I don't know how the first problem might be solved, but the second might be solved by permitting the actual typing of the hidden folder name in a bespoke manner, rather than via point and click selection from the user folder.

Unless of course I missed something...don't think I did though. I'm not especially concerned with backing up hidden folders and their files anyway. Assume if I needed to restore from backup the Amazon MP3 service could just be reinstalled from the .deb on the Amazon website anyway.

Perhaps the backup tool could be given an option under advanced options to "Ignore hidden folders and files"?
blueXrider

Post by blueXrider »

Also having issues with Mint Backup Tool. Reads all the files that I wanted to backup but when I run the program it stalls about 1/4 of the way through. I waited about 4 hours without any progress. Killed and deleted the program.
Last edited by blueXrider on Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blueXrider

Post by blueXrider »

I had to make incremental back-ups to get this to work right. I specifically denoted a selection of files to try,usually a set of 5-6 at a time, once those were backed I moved on to others. it took several shots to accomplish but was successful. I cannot say exactly how to fix this issue however I can offer a work around.

I think I'll be looking at a different program to use in the future.
computx

Post by computx »

This is easy to bypass. When in mint backup click on exclude directories. When presented with the directory list right click and pick show hidden files from the menu. Now select .amazon and click open. Proceed with backup as before.
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

computx wrote:This is easy to bypass. When in mint backup click on exclude directories. When presented with the directory list right click and pick show hidden files from the menu. Now select .amazon and click open. Proceed with backup as before.
A workaround that helped me was

1. In the Terminal type

Code: Select all

find -type p
2. Then exclude the directories than come up from the backup.

Worked for me!
Cecilieaux
--
Every time I think I'm past newbiedom something like this happens.
Running Linux Mint 21 Vera with Cinnamon.

Return to “Software & Applications”