Linux Mint can't connect to WiFi Network

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
angelmetatron

Linux Mint can't connect to WiFi Network

Post by angelmetatron »

Hi Mint community!

Linux Mint newbie here and may I ask help from the community with my WiFi problem.

I have a machine that is running on Linux Mint 13 XFCE and has 802.11g MiniPCI Wireless Adapter by Ralink corp. RT2561/RT61 rev B 802.11g.

Here's my problem, whenever Linux tries to connect to my WEP WiFi network, Linux Mint somewhat can't connect to my network and it keeps asking me for the network key even though I've inputted the correct key.

I do hope that you guys could help me on this one and would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance! ^__^
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cinnaminty909

Re: Linux Mint can't connect to WiFi Network

Post by Cinnaminty909 »

This is probably a fairly obvious long shot, but are you sure it is connecting to the network you want? If there are other networks available it could be trying to access one of those and I'm not sure that would be obvious unless you click on the wifi in the taskbar and make sure which one its talking to.
angelmetatron

Post by angelmetatron »

Cinnaminty909 wrote:This is probably a fairly obvious long shot, but are you sure it is connecting to the network you want? If there are other networks available it could be trying to access one of those and I'm not sure that would be obvious unless you click on the wifi in the taskbar and make sure which one its talking to.
Well, there are other networks in my area but I click and try to connect to my WiFi network through the taskbar.
linux-is-great

Post by linux-is-great »

Hi there,

I have a similar problem.
My MSI M670 laptop has a Ralink RT2561/RT61 wireless chipset inside. Right now I have Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon installed with default stup from DVD (no updates done from internet during or after installation).

I'm not very familiar with linux basics, but I've been using desktop versions of linux (on this laptop) for about 1 year (Ubuntu 11.x, Ubuntu 12.x). I have been using the same TP-LINK wifi router model TL-MR3420 for about 2 years, no issues.

But since about 3 weeks, I erased Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (which was working great on this laptop, no issues with wifi in my setup), and I installed many other linux versions, for comparison/testing (Lubuntu 12.10, Ubuntu 12.10, Linux Mint 13, Linux Mint 14). Each of them gave me issues after instalation when I tried to use wifi on my laptop and my router (same previous setup which was working OK).

I read on this forum and other forums about many users having difficulties with this issue lately: the laptop connects OK to router (with correct WPA2 password), then it disconnects after 1-2 minutes.... then it tries to reconnect forever... it asks again for password... I reinsert it correctly... retrying to connect... does not connect... then is asking again for password... and so on... forever.

Code: Select all

lspci -vvnn

04:09.0 Network controller [0280]: [b]Ralink corp. RT2561/RT61 rev B 802.11g [1814:0302][/b]
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device [1462:b833]
	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Latency: 64, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17
	Region 0: Memory at febf0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: rt61pci
	Kernel modules: rt61pci
On this laptop, in WinXP (I have dual-boot Linux & WinXP), on the same router (same setup) everything is working perfectly, the laptop never disconnects from router.

I have no ideeawhat's causing this issue that literally prevents me from using Linux anymore. And I love linux, and I'd like to use it everyday, but this issue is so frustrating.
Unfortunately, I know almost nothing about linux kernel, linux commands, etc. I'm just a regular Windows user for 15 years :( . But I'm trying to use linux as much as possible.

So, does anybody know what happened in last kernel versions? Is something changed that prevents wifi to no longer work as it uset to (with some chipsets)?

I have this setup right now:

Code: Select all

Kernel		: Linux 3.2.0-23-generic (i686)
Compiled		: #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:41:14 UTC 2012
C Library		: Unknown
Default C Compiler		: GNU C Compiler version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) 
Distribution		: Linux Mint 13 Maya
-Current Session-
Computer Name	: MSI-M670
User Name		: 
Home Directory	: /home/
Desktop Environment		: Cinnamon
-Misc-
Uptime		        : 4 hours, 49 minutes
Load Average	: 0.99, 0.95, 1.01
Thank you for any suggestion.

Return to “Beginner Questions”