x64 mint install crashing kernel panic

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gingaboy04030210

x64 mint install crashing kernel panic

Post by gingaboy04030210 »

i am typing on the machine now but if i boot via the normal method i get a poor quality display output and the system goes in to kernel panic if i use the internet.
However i now boot recovery mode then resume normal boot and all is fine.
im very new to linux but quite like the few distro's i have seen and am keen to kiss Microsoft goodbye.
Hardware is as follows

dual booting with win 7 but separate hdd's
amd phenom 2 x6 processor
radeon 6600hd graphics
asus m5a97 motherboard
8gb ram
1 x solid state hdd with win 7
2x hdds besides.

as im new i dont know where to start i have tried downloading a display driver but when i tried installing i got kernel panic again.

Thanks for any advice offered
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mank_in

Re: x64 mint install crashing kernel panic

Post by mank_in »

checking graphic Drivers in use ,with command :
open terminal

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
If GLX renderer listed Gallium 3d, you are use open source radeon driver
To install Driver from AMD, open software sources ( search from menu ), select additional drivers .

Return to “Beginner Questions”