How to install chkconfig

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

How to install chkconfig

Postby mwpowellhtx on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:43 pm

Hello,

I want to install chkconfig, but am running into some trouble. Me = Linux newbie.

If I can believe Software Sources, import is included, which is Linux Mint universe right?

However attempts to sudo apt-get install chkconfig are met with fail.

Tangent, I want to do this in order to admin services, obviously: specifically for Hamachi / Haguichi, to verify Hamachi is installed and running right.

Thanks...

Regards,

Michael
mwpowellhtx
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to install chkconfig

Postby viking777 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:34 pm

chkconfig is out of date and I believe it no longer works with Mint/Ubuntu. Try sysv-rc-conf instead, it is similar. Don't get too used to using that either though eventually systemd takes over (it already has in a lot of distros so Ubuntu/Mint will probably follow, but don't quote me) Then you have to start all over again.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby altair4 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:40 pm

viking777 wrote:chkconfig is out of date and I believe it no longer works with Mint/Ubuntu. Try sysv-rc-conf instead, it is similar. Don't get too used to using that either though eventually systemd takes over (it already has in a lot of distros so Ubuntu/Mint will probably follow, but don't quote me) Then you have to start all over again.

That would be an interesting development. Ubuntu / Mint uses a weird combination of the old SysV and the new Upstart scripts to start things and Upstart was created for/by Ubuntu. For Ubuntu to use RedHat's ( at least that's who owns the developers ) systemd it would have to admit that it's superior to Upstart.

Right after that it will announce that it's abandoning Unity for Cinnamon :shock:

You might be right but I'm just beginning to understand Upstart :(
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby viking777 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:10 am

Right after that it will announce that it's abandoning Unity for Cinnamon

I hope not, I think Unity is the best desktop linux has ever had (if you discount ignorant decisions like disabling 'dodge windows' and 'Amazon Ads' in the dash).

Thanks for the explanation anyway, I was not at all aware of who invented what and when. The only thing I know for sure is that I can't work systemd without a cheat sheet! Both chkconfig and sysv-rc-conf are far easier to use.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby altair4 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:42 am

viking777 wrote:
Right after that it will announce that it's abandoning Unity for Cinnamon

I hope not, I think Unity is the best desktop linux has ever had (if you discount ignorant decisions like disabling 'dodge windows' and 'Amazon Ads' in the dash).

It would appear you and I have diverged quite a bit over the years. I have gone in the exact opposite direction - I use XFCE :)
Both chkconfig and sysv-rc-conf are far easier to use.

That's another problem if you are using Ubuntu-based Mint. chkconfig, sysv-rc-conf as well as update-rc.d and BUM are for managing SystemV init scripts. They cannot manage Upstart scripts. So that leaves out things like: cups, avahi, nmbd, smbd, udev, dbus, ssh, ufw, and probably a bunch of others I can't remember. There is no GUI or command line way to control upstart jobs ( other than to start / stop / or find the status on a live system ). You have to edit the conf files directly ( or rename them ) in /etc/init.

I noticed that on my system this Hamachi thingy is not in the repositores. If it's being installed from outside then in all likelihood it will set itself up as a SysV job for compatibility reasons so sysv-rc-conf should work. But if it sets itself up as an upstart job then ....
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby viking777 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:42 pm

It would appear you and I have diverged quite a bit over the years. I have gone in the exact opposite direction - I use XFCE

Not that much Altair, I am using Xfce also, and Cinnamon, just not all the time, I have my favourites, but I enjoy the diversity of Linux as well.
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Return to Software & Applications