How do I disconnect from wireless networks?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
w4jiro

How do I disconnect from wireless networks?

Post by w4jiro »

Hello all - Mint 12 Gnome 3

New to Linux and am picking things up as I go. My question seems very simple but I can't find it through search for the life of me. How can I disconnect from a wireless network without having to turn off the wireless or disable the adapter? Right click doesn't work, neither the mint nor gNome network connections managers do it either.

Thanks (:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gn2

Re: [How to] Disconnect from wireless networks?

Post by gn2 »

On mine, left click on the wireless icon in the panel (taskbar) then click where it says Disconnect under the network I'm connected to.
w4jiro

Post by w4jiro »

Hmm, I don't have that disconnect button. I am running Mint 12 with GNome 3.
gn2

Post by gn2 »

Sorry can't help with that, I'm a LTS user.
Aging Technogeek

Re: How do I disconnect from wireless networks?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

In Mint 12 Gnome 3, go to Menu=>Other=>Network Connections=>Wireless. Click on the network you want to disconnect from and click "Delete".
w4jiro

Post by w4jiro »

Thanks for the reply. I've been doing it that way up to now, I guess I was just wondering if there's a cleaner way to do it where I wouldn't have to forget the network and retype the password, etc. I could only jump from network to network or delete it as a whole, seems like a simple disconnect function is missing.

Is there a command to disconnect without deleting it per chance?
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I had not investigated this before since I normally use a wired internet connection, but I just checked and found that the type of disconnect you want is automatic when you select a different wireless network.

There are several open wireless networks that I can connect to. I selected each in turn, each connected and disconnected when the next was chosen, but the network connection information was retained in "Network Connections".

I also occasionally use a 4G wireless hotspot (normally when I am using my laptop in the field). This is a secured connection encrypted with WPA2. It works the same as the others. Connects when selected, disconnects when another network is selected, and all connection information including the encryption key is retained in "Network Connections" .
w4jiro

Post by w4jiro »

Understood, however, I am looking to be able to disconnect without it picking up a new connection. This is useful for many reasons like troubleshooting/investigating a wired connection and flipping back and forth through wired and wireless.

I want to be able to disconnect without having to jump to a new connection and without having to 'forget' the network. I would settle for a terminal command if there's nothing in the GUI. Although I think it's a pretty basic function to include in the future.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

w4jiro wrote:Understood, however, I am looking to be able to disconnect without it picking up a new connection. This is useful for many reasons like troubleshooting/investigating a wired connection and flipping back and forth through wired and wireless.
Even if there is no pause/disconnect option, you can stop the network manager easily by killing its service, probably should be under a system menu option on your desktop or simply right-click and shutdown the network manager applet on your system taskbar..

The reason it picks up connections is that it is listening for any available networks (open or closed ) that your system's antenna can detect; making it dynamic and usually what people want: find an available network..
--other choices are either outside the default decisions of the developers or maybe not considered important: less bells and whistles, but functional..

network manager..
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager
--in a terminal you can simply kill the interface for your network, that will stop it responding and Network manager, since it has no network connection will not be able to activate any network session/device..

You can also consider other network managers that may have more options, such as wicd, however getting them installed without interfering with your current (Network manager) setups may cause you some issues..
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

This might also work, ignore some specific devices..wired, wireless ?..
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/NetworkM ... re_Devices
  • Ignore Devices
    If you have some network devices which you want to configure by yourself (For example mobile phones which connect over a USB network interface) NetworkManager can ignore these devices. Just add the MAC Adresses of the devices you want to ignore to your configuration file /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf
Last edited by DrHu on Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Killing NetworkManager often does not break the connection. Disconnecting used to be possible but many options were removed from Gnome programs in Gnome 3.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
w4jiro

Post by w4jiro »

DrHu wrote:Even if there is no pause/disconnect option, you can stop the network manager easily by killing its service, probably should be under a system menu option on your desktop or simply right-click and shutdown the network manager applet on your system taskbar..
See that's the thing, I don't want to stop the service. Listening on the adapter is fine as long as it doesn't have an active connection and data packets aren't pouring through. If I stop the service I'd have to re-enable it later to reconnect, and becomes tedious when you have to do it various times. It might be GUI related because as gn2 and AlbertP stated, it used to be a function on previous versions (as well as on most other OS).

I simply want to be able to disconnect from a specific wireless network without having to remove it's settings or connect to another network or stop the service or disable the adapter. I think i'll play with KDE if it's any different... Not sure if this is a Gnome thing or a Lisa thing though. Thanks for all the responses, I will be checking back if any has other ideas though. (:

P.S. I can't right click the network icon on the taskbar.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

It's a Gnome thing.

In Gnome 3 you are supposed to left-click instead of right-click on the network icon.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
maxdule
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maxdule »

Almost unbelievably stupid, but it actually is - as described in the first post. :!:
darlof
Level 1
Level 1

Post by darlof »

I know this is an older post, but Im wondering if anyone has any solution to this. I like to dc from my network connection when I stop using the net, so as not to use any more bw then I have to since Im on a limited plan. Id rather not have to turn off wireless or delete the connection every time I do this.
upacreek

Post by upacreek »

maxdule wrote:Almost unbelievably stupid, but it actually is - as described in the first post. :!:
Still no right-click dissconnect option or any other dissconnect option besides turning off wifi using the default cinnamon network manager applet... unbelivably stupid describes it perfectly.
matmat07

Post by matmat07 »

Where should I ask for this "feature"? I would like to do the same.

Return to “Beginner Questions”