Medialink Wireless-N usb 2.0 adapter driver

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cheynems

Medialink Wireless-N usb 2.0 adapter driver

Post by cheynems »

I recently installed Mint 13 Cinnamon. I've always had a problem with my wifi adapter on Linux, which is why I've never used it. I purchased a new adapter (listed in the title) and am having the same problems with the internet not working. Downloads will fail, and 9 out of 10 tries I will get the server not found error in any browser i use. The adapter I purchased came with linux drivers on the cd, but I have no idea how to install them. There are no tar files, etc. The title of the folder containing the drivers is RT3070_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.1_20100208 if that helps to determine the driver I need. Is there an easy way to install it, perhaps even a better driver located on the internet?

Thanks for any help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Medialink Wireless-N usb 2.0 adapter driver

Post by 67GTA »

I've seen reports that the rt3070 works out of the box with Ubuntu 12.10/Mint 14. If you want to stick to the LTS release, you might try this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/148767/h ... ess-driver It seems the driver version on your CD has older driver versions.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
cheynems

Post by cheynems »

I just realized I made a type in my original post. I am using Mint 14, not 13. I have still had issues with my wifi, though less. The internet seems to work but will still cut out from time to time, which causes downloads to fail and pages to not load. Any ideas?

I am willing to give 12.10 a shot. I was using 12.04 assuming that it would work better as a more developed release. Would it cause any problems using the 64 bit version? I have 6 gb of memory installed (though I heard it doesn't matter as much on Linux). Also, would I be able to test the driver support using the live cd before I install?

Thanks!
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Ubuntu 12.04 and Mint 13 still uses the pae kernel which lets the 32 bit version see all of your ram. Ubuntu 12.10 and Mint 14 doesn't have pae, so they will only see 4gb using the 32 bit version. As of Ub 12.10/Mint 14 you will have to use the 64 bit version to use all 6gb of your ram. The 32 vs 64 editions won't matter as far as the driver goes. Ub 12.04 and Mint 13 are LTS releases. They will be supported for 5 years. 12.10/14 only gets upport for 18 months. That is a personal decision. Personally I like to update to each new release to get newer features. I found a bug report from someone using that driver with connection problems. It may just be the driver stinks. https://bugs.launchpad.net/rt2x00/+bug/1054179 The live CD method would work for 12.04, but a PITA. You would have to have the driver already downloaded and install the "build-essential" package (on the cd) and then compile and load the driver. For 12.10, you would have to do the same and then unload/blacklist the driver that is already running.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
cheynems

Post by cheynems »

I read that bug report, and it sounds like the problems I am having. It sounds like a hassle to even try getting that driver to work fully. Do you have any suggestions on wireless usb adapters/drivers that are fully compatible with Mint 14/Ubuntu 12.10 (preferably Mint)? If I have to get it online that is fine, I just want something that works straight out of the box. Once I have the internet working correctly, I can usually fix any other problems I run into. This one just has me stumped.
cheynems

Post by cheynems »

Perhaps the Panda Mini Wifi? I would post a link but not sure if that's allowed. It can be found on Amazon and says it's compatible with Ubuntu 12.04 and Mint 13. Am I safe to assume it would work on the newest releases as well?
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Yeah, sometimes Linux hardware support can bite you. I (years later) only buy Linux supported hardware. It is only a matter of the manufacturer having a quality driver. Most hardware/software companies only support MS/Apple because that is where the money is. I have seen this link posted many times to answer your question. http://linuxplained.com/linux-compatibl ... ters-2012/
cheynems

Post by cheynems »

That is the same link I first went to in order to get a new wifi adapter. I purchased the first one on the list and here we are. The Panda is the one I'm looking at now but I'm afraid I will just run into the same problem.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Well, that would be funny if you wasn't having so much trouble. I personally bought this one for my dad's desktop running 12.10, and it was just "plug and play". http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... pk=DWA-131

Return to “Networking”