Some problem with Cinnamon on VirtualBox

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frankster

Some problem with Cinnamon on VirtualBox

Post by frankster »

I've been having a similar issue inside my linux mint VM. Its using software rendering so does this mean that cinnamon won't run?

System: Host: mint-virtualbox Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.6.3)
Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Graphics: Card: InnoTek Systemberatung VirtualBox Graphics Adapter bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: ati,vboxvideo (unloaded: vesa,fbdev) Resolution: 2560x1440@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4 Direct Rendering: Yes
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Some problem with Cinnamon on VirtualBox

Post by xenopeek »

Hi, please create new topics for new problems. See the forum rules. You had responded to another member's support request (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=113864) with your own support request. That's a bit like hijacking :wink:

You don't say what your problem is, but I'm assuming your problem is you are in Cinnamon fall back mode?

Cinnamon will run fine on VirtualBox, but make sure you have enabled 3D acceleration for the virtual machine and shared 128 MB of video memory. You can do so on the Display tab of the Settings for the virtual machine. Perhaps trying for the resolution of 2560x1440 is a problem, so trying something less if it doesn't work.
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

Vincent,
I am also trying to run LM13 Cinnamon in a VirtualBox.
My problem is it runs but there is a terrible lag time when I click on something and it responds.
Fallback mode works perfect.
I have tried adjusting all the settings that other threads have suggested but nothing seems to help.
Here is my video card specs.
System: Host danc-e535 Kernel 3.2.0-3-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Distro LinuxMint 1 debian
Graphics: Card Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device 9992 X.Org 1.12.1.902 Res: 1366x768@60.0hz, 1440x900@59.9hz
GLX Renderer AMD Radeon HD 7420G GLX Version 4.2.11762 Compatibility Profile Context Direct Rendering Yes

I have Windows 7 in a virtualbox running just fine.
Maybe I will try a different LM13 like XFCE and see if that works.
I have 3d acceleration checked. 128MB video selected and I have even given it 2 processors and 2GB of ram.
Thanks
Dan
boekhold

Post by boekhold »

xenopeek wrote: Cinnamon will run fine on VirtualBox, but make sure you have enabled 3D acceleration for the virtual machine and shared 128 MB of video memory. You can do so on the Display tab of the Settings for the virtual machine. Perhaps trying for the resolution of 2560x1440 is a problem, so trying something less if it doesn't work.
Hi, I'm having difficulty as well getting Cinnamon to use 3D acceleration inside a VirtualBox 4.2.4 guest, which has 3D acceleration enabled and 128M of video memory assigned:

Code: Select all

$ glxinfo | grep -i direct
direct rendering: Yes
$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: InnoTek Systemberatung VirtualBox Graphics Adapter 
           X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: vboxvideo (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x983@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x301) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0
$ dpkg -l 'virtualbox*' | grep "^i"
ii  virtualbox-guest-dkms  4.1.18-dfsg-1ubuntu1.1  all    x86 virtualization solution - guest addition module source for dkms
ii  virtualbox-guest-utils    4.1.18-dfsg-1ubuntu1.1 i386 x86 virtualization solution - non-X11 guest utilities
ii  virtualbox-guest-x11     4.1.18-dfsg-1ubuntu1.1 i386 x86 virtualization solution - X11 guest utilities
Searching in /var/log/Xorg.log.0 I can find:

[    19.519] (EE) VBoxVideo(0): DRIScreenInit failed, disabling DRI.
So there really seems to be something not working here as supposed to. I can't seem to find anything related in my VBox log file (host side) related to this.

I know this probably isn't directly related to Mint, but I'm still hoping somebody here has a solution for this (perhaps this is similar to the known issue with Intel graphics). I'll post to the VirtualBox forum as well.

Maarten
boekhold

Post by boekhold »

Hi all,

cross-posted this post to the VirtualBox forums. Seems to me that the problem is that /dev/dri/card0 is missing in my Mint 14 installation. The strange thing is that I have a Mint 13 guest on the same host where 3D acceleration is working...

Not sure now if this is a VirtualBox or Mint issue: who/what is supposed to create that /dev/dri/card0 device?

Maarten
boekhold

[SOLVED] Re: Some problem with Cinnamon on VirtualBox

Post by boekhold »

OK, so PerryG on the VirtualBox forums confirmed that this is a real issue, caused by some upstream changes in Ubuntu 12.10 (and Fedora 18 as well apparently) related to how DRI is handled. A test version of VBox 4.2.5 is available in the ticket that has been opened for this at https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/11107.

In order to test this you also need to uninstall:
  • virtualbox-guest-dkms
  • virtualbox-guest-utils
  • virtualbox-guest-x11
And install the version of the Guest Additions that come with the VirtualBox 4.2.5 test release.

$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: InnoTek Systemberatung VirtualBox Graphics Adapter 
           X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: ati,vboxvideo (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x983@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Chromium GLX Version: 2.1 Chromium 1.9
btw. this new VirtualBox test release in general feels faster than 4.2.4, even before I upgraded the Guest Additions (eg it felt faster even when Cinnamon was still running with llvmpipe).

Maarten

[edit] seems there are some graphics errors still... getting screen artifacts when using ctrl-alt-up/down... individual windows show fine but the background is messed up
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

dcihon wrote:Vincent,
I am also trying to run LM13 Cinnamon in a VirtualBox.
My problem is it runs but there is a terrible lag time when I click on something and it responds.
Fallback mode works perfect.
I have tried adjusting all the settings that other threads have suggested but nothing seems to help.
Here is my video card specs.
System: Host danc-e535 Kernel 3.2.0-3-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Distro LinuxMint 1 debian
Graphics: Card Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device 9992 X.Org 1.12.1.902 Res: 1366x768@60.0hz, 1440x900@59.9hz
GLX Renderer AMD Radeon HD 7420G GLX Version 4.2.11762 Compatibility Profile Context Direct Rendering Yes

I have Windows 7 in a virtualbox running just fine.
Maybe I will try a different LM13 like XFCE and see if that works.
I have 3d acceleration checked. 128MB video selected and I have even given it 2 processors and 2GB of ram.
Thanks
Dan
Yes i am in the same boat I also have Cinnamon working in Virtual box but it lags so bad I just turn it off and go to Gnome Classic! Any way to stop this lag because it is REALLY bad :(
boekhold

Post by boekhold »

Incentive I.C wrote: Yes i am in the same boat I also have Cinnamon working in Virtual box but it lags so bad I just turn it off and go to Gnome Classic! Any way to stop this lag because it is REALLY bad :(
I don't think that's related to having 3D acceleration or not. There are other forum threads out there about lag in Cinnamon, specifically about opening the menu with the windows key, see http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 2&start=20 for example.

Just to let you know, even before I got the 3D acceleration working in VirtualBox with Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon the menu opened fine for me with no noticable/annoying lag.

Maarten
Klamer

Post by Klamer »

Confirmation that graphics acceleration indeed works after upgrading virtualbox to 4.2.5, on a Windows 7 system with Intel HD graphics.

Some graphic artefacts are there -- such as sometimes white areas in the Cinnamon menu. Not easily reproduceable.

Cinnamon interaction feels slow. This could be due to cinnamon -- I never tried it before.

Keep up the good work,

Klamer
te7

Post by te7 »

I get some lag with Cinnamon in LM 14 Cinnamon too in VirtualBox 4.2.4. Most noticeable when scrolling through a web site with the scroll wheel. Gnome Classic works fine. No problems in LM 13 Cinnamon in VirtualBox. Must be Cinnamon 1.6.
feet

Re: [SOLVED] Re: Some problem with Cinnamon on VirtualBox

Post by feet »

boekhold wrote:OK, so PerryG on the VirtualBox forums confirmed that this is a real issue, caused by some upstream changes in Ubuntu 12.10 (and Fedora 18 as well apparently) related to how DRI is handled. A test version of VBox 4.2.5 is available in the ticket that has been opened for this at https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/11107.
Anyone know where I could get the windows host test build for 4.2.5? the links on the ticket page are dead (only the extension pack download link is still alive).

Return to “Cinnamon”