Linux Mint 14. Wow!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
7vn11vn

Linux Mint 14. Wow!

Post by 7vn11vn »

Long time Windows user here. Very long, like Window 2.11 long. My current laptop started with Vista, then Win7, now Win8. Spent lots of money on software like Office, etc. I've known about Linux for years, but I've never really checked it out until today. I checked out Ubuntu, but that really didn't do much for me. Then I found my way to Mint and checked it out. It looked great, so I downloaded the file and burned it to a dvd.

I wasn't sure which version to get, so I ended up with Mint 14 Mate. It took about two minutes to decide I wanted it, so I chose the dual boot with Windows 8. Install was painless and very quick, compared to Windows, which took hours. Dual boot works great.

I did run into a couple of problems at first. I could move the pointer around the screen, but couldn't click on anything unless I used the touchpad button. That was frustrating, but I finally found my way to the Control Center and clicked on Mouse. The touchpad settings were in there and that fixed the problem. The other problem was that I wanted to install Chrome. I finally found it on Google and downloaded it. It took me awhile to figure out how to get it installed, though. Just part of the learning curve. No biggie.

Mint is NICE! Now I wish I hadn't spent the money on upgrading Windows. I've only had it installed for two hours, but I'm finding my way around without any problems. LibreOffice looks great. Actually, everything does.

I know I'm supposed to use this forum to ask questions and get help and I probably will as time goes by, but the only question I have right now is, Why did it take me so long to find Linux Mint??? :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Linux Mint 14. Wow!

Post by kc1di »

Hi 7vn11vn and welcome to Linux Mint and the forum.
Glad you enjoy it. Have fun learning one of the best Linux Distros around
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

mint is the easiest of Linux distros for ex M$ users to adapt to, you didnt need to download chrome from the web as it is a standard program in the repositories [still you have done it now] click start and look for the software manager [usually a yellow four pointed star] click on that and have a nose at all the programs available that are completable with mint

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
overthetop

Post by overthetop »

Yes, Mint is great!

Welcome aboard! :P
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day and welcome to Mint :mrgreen:
Mohr

Post by Mohr »

Welcome to Linux!

Question: Is this 15-min-ping to Google and the so-called-search enhancer in Firefox still active ?
I am worried because of privacy reasons. In Germany (and I think in the EU) the IP is considered a private data.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”