How to get a recent Wine unstable running on LMDE. This is for 32-bit installs.
1) sudo apt-get install libc6 libc6-dev
2) The ALSA library will need to be downloaded from this link
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/ma ... 4_i386.deb
3) Right-click that ALSA deb when it downloads and install it with GDebi package installer.
4) Download all the i386 packages at http://dev.carbon-project.org/debian/wine-unstable/
5) Terminal to the download folder used in Step 4, then sudo dpkg -i libwine*.deb
6) sudo dpkg -i wine-bin-unstable*.deb
7) In your LMDE menu, go to Applications/System Tools/Wine Configuration. Wine will ask to install Gecko (for web browsers). You don’t need it for Windows games, but it will automatically install if you like.
8 ) Right click any Windows .exe, go to Open With, select Wine.