LM 14 can't read my hdd in installer

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Faress

LM 14 can't read my hdd in installer

Post by Faress »

Hi ,
Guys i try to install Lm on my hdd alongside with Windows 8 , but the problem i can't find my partitions in partition part in installer . only Lm detect an usb 16gb in fat32 . how i can install Lm ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mintybits

Re: LM 14 can't read my hdd in installer

Post by mintybits »

Hi. There are several possible causes.
Best to boot into live Mint and then open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -lu
and post the results here.
Also, run the GParted application and post a screenshot of what it shows if you can. If you see any red circles with a ! inside or other warnings, click on them to reveal information.

The Ubiquity installer is not very bright and will show a blank disk sometimes. Like when the partition table isn't quite right or there are dmraid headers on the disk.

Is this s new disk or an old one...have you ever used this disk in a Wndows RAID system?

And ALWAYS back up your Windows data before attempting to install Mint on the same disk. There is a small chance you may lose it.
Faress

Post by Faress »

Hi , When i launch gparted , is still looping and searching for hdd devices, and i use Sata mode not raid , i will try the command in terminal
Faress

Post by Faress »

Screenshot.png
Faress

Post by Faress »

And when installer :
Screenshot-1.png
olle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by olle »

You have 4 primary partitions, you cannot add any more.

You need to select one to be removed, remove it, and then rezsize / move the partitions to create one big enough empty, non-allocated partition.

Then you need to create extended partition on that unallocated one, and create as many logical parttition you may need ( root, swap,home ?)

All the above you need to do in ie. gparted.

One to be removed might be ie. Windows Recovery partition. Your system should have a tool to create some 3 DVDs out of that Recovery Partition for possible later use. Other possibility might be to move the partition as a whole to ie. USB drive.

There are quite a many threads concerning similar situations in the net, Key words are ie. "4 primary", "HP_tools" (if you happen to have HP), "extracting Recover" etc etc.

Hopefully somebody who really can help and explain happens to see this thread ... :) ,
and write a proper tutorial !

Edit: the reason you cannot do anything with gparted might be that your HDD is mounted ? Use the same gparted to unmount ( when in live DVD)
Faress

Post by Faress »

Nothing new friend , the same way mounted or not still the problem , i try it with virtualbox it's work but install on computer no
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

The fact that you're seeing no partitions in the installer suggests either a partition table error or leftover RAID data. I don't see any obvious problems in your fdisk output, so chances are it's RAID data. There are pages on the Web that describe how to remove this old data, but I don't happen to have any of them bookmarked, so I suggest you try a Web search on keywords like "Linux remove raid data."
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

Linux can see all your partitions so it is an installer problem.
First, back up any Windows data that is vital. There is always a small chance of damaging something when installing lnux on the same disk as Windows.
Let's eliminate the possibility of Windows RAID artifacts first. Open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo dmraid -rE
Then see whether GParted shows your partitions.

As has been said, you have all 4 primary partition slots used up already. You either need to use a different HD for linux or free up 1 partition and convert it to an "extended" primary partition that can then be subdivided into as many "logical" partitions as you like.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

One of your partitions will be a windows recovery partition.

One of your partitions will be the main windows partition.

Main Windows Partition
If you are happy with the windows setup use a backup program, if not use the recovery program to reinstall a fresh windows setup NB this will be destructive, once complete and setup; use - http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Recovery Partition
Use a backup program - http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
Delete the Recovery Partition and shrink the others, using gparted or ubiqity.

Delete the Recovery Partition and shrink the others- if you dont want to use windows delete this partition as well.

Use Gparted to make an extended partition in the free space them inside that make a root (/) partition, /home and lastly a swap partition of about 2Gb

Return to “Installation & Boot”