[SOLVED] libreoffice won't start missing access rights

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
200Cub
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] libreoffice won't start missing access rights

Post by 200Cub »

I need help with this problem please. I did a clean install of Mint 14, backed up and restored my /home from Mint 13 with the backup tool. Libreoffice won't start, reporting that there are missing access rights to
/home/scott/.cofig/libreoffice/3. I'm thinking it's something wrong because of the home backup. I've no idea what to do here and would appreciated any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: libreoffice won't start missing access rights

Post by viking777 »

It has been my experience over the years that restoring an old home folder onto a new distro hardly ever works without some problems. In your case you are trying to run libreoffice (which has probably been updated between Mint 13 and 14) with old configuration files. Sometimes you get away with it (if the changes are not too great between the two versions) and sometimes you don't.

Your answer is to reinstall libreoffice. It will replace the config files it doesn't like and then work normally again, but you may lose some personal settings you have made in the process.

For the future, there really is no answer because it varies with every installation. The only safe way is to copy over only your own personal documents not the hidden config files within your ~ folder. But having said that I know that in 99 cases out of 100 you can copy over your Firefox and Thunderbird config files pretty well without risk (and probably many others as well).

Like I said there really is no answer, some you win and some you lose.
200Cub
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 200Cub »

Thanks for your reply. I thought it was probably caused by the backup. Does this mean it might affect other applications? Perhaps a warning in Mint's backup tutorial would be a good idea. I'll mark as solved.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

200Cub wrote:Thanks for your reply. I thought it was probably caused by the backup. Does this mean it might affect other applications? Perhaps a warning in Mint's backup tutorial would be a good idea. I'll mark as solved.
Glad it is solved for you.

I doubt you will ever find such a warning added for the simple reason that people refuse to believe that the problem exists. You and I know different.
clair

Re: NEW [SOLVED] libreoffice won't start missing access righ

Post by clair »

Using Mint 12 on dedicated desktop:
Have long wanted LO to work but it never would, so I bit the bullet and uninstalled it and purged OO stuff.

Reinstalled LO with these very good instructions. It still will not start: Here are the messages:
>>
Either another instance of LO is accessing your personal setting or your personal setting are locked. Sim7ultaneous access can lead to inconsistencies in your personal settings. Before continuing, you should make sure user "root' closed LO on host 'clair-mint'.

Do you really want to continue?
<<

This when trying to run LO was the first thing I did after the system was booted.

If I click yes to the above question, I get this:
>>
The application cannot be started. [/home/clair/.config/.libreoffice/3/user/extnesions/bundled/registry/com.sun.star.comp.deployment.configuration.PackageRegistryBackend/registered_packages.db] Berkeley Db error (0): Db::open: Permission denied.
<<

I have basic Linux knowledge and have been happy with Mint 12 but I really need a full-featured WP application and I love LO (I run it on my Windows machine.

I have no idea what to do about these messages.

Thanks for anyone can help.
Clair

Return to “Software & Applications”