LM14 incorrect aspect ratio

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

LM14 incorrect aspect ratio

Postby yonnie on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:22 pm

Just installed LM14 mate onto a Shuttle X. Replacing Debian Etch. The detected monitor comes up as unknown and the resolution had the righthand controls on windows off the screen, 1280 x 1024. All screens appear stretched. If I select 1024 x 768, the various screens seem to fit onto monitor, but still appear stretched. Very difficult to do publishing while guessing what the end product is going to look like.

The control center only gives a selection of 4 settings for resolution and no manual adjustments. Is there another location to massage settings until things look right?
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
- Friedrich Nietzsche
yonnie
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LM14 incorrect aspect ratio

Postby viking777 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:35 pm

Unfortunately the display settings are fairly limited. In the continuing efforts to make Linux more automated, they never fail to make it more difficult to use if the automated settings don't work.

I fell into a similar problem on another distro recently and I solved by installing and using arandr. This is a gui for xrandr, but much easier to use than the cli tool. The other option will depend on what kind of graphics you have. For example nvidia-settings is brilliant if you have nvidia graphics, but not much use otherwise :lol: .

Arandr works on pretty well everything though, so it might be worth a try. You can get it from the package manager.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Re: LM14 incorrect aspect ratio

Postby igor83 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:02 pm

yonnie wrote:Just installed LM14 mate onto a Shuttle X. Replacing Debian Etch. The detected monitor comes up as unknown and the resolution had the righthand controls on windows off the screen, 1280 x 1024. All screens appear stretched. If I select 1024 x 768, the various screens seem to fit onto monitor, but still appear stretched. Very difficult to do publishing while guessing what the end product is going to look like.

The control center only gives a selection of 4 settings for resolution and no manual adjustments. Is there another location to massage settings until things look right?

I've become an evangelist for the Arch Linux documentation on configuring xorg.conf and ATI's driver. Not sure whether Shuttle X uses an ATI video driver, but the documentation explains how to configure the monitor resolution, which helped me out. If you don't run ATI stuff then just pay attention to the X section. Trust me, it's gold.
My desktop runs 64-bit Kubuntu 13.04, my htpc runs 64-bit Linux Mint Nadia Xfce, my answering machine runs 64-bit windows 7, and my laptop runs 64-bit Linux Mint Nadia KDE. Each seems suited to its purpose.
igor83
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Hardware Support