Removing redundant install of LM

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frisa2000

Removing redundant install of LM

Post by frisa2000 »

I inadvertently installed LM13 twice, first time partially, second time fully. How do I get rid of the partial installation and reallocate the freed space to my root? Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
usbtux

Re: Removing redundant install of LM

Post by usbtux »

Reboot with live cd/usb start gparted delete partitions associated with the partial install. Next use gparted to grow/expand the remaining into the freespace.

Only problem - do you know which partitions were made for the partial install?

Reinstall grub as required.

As this is a new install it may be easier to just reinstall again and have mint take over the disk.
frisa2000

Post by frisa2000 »

I figured out that the partial install occupies the smaller and randomly named disk area. How do I reinstall grub?
Thanks!
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

Reinstall grub with following steps

boot and run from Linux Live DVD/CD

from a terminal sudo os-prober, and look for the mint partition this should be the / partition (root)

mount it with sudo mount /dev/sdaX /mnt, replace X with actual root partition of your selection

reinstall grub with sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

nb sda may be different on yours.
frisa2000

Post by frisa2000 »

It appears that something about the boot of the complete installation was affected by the first and partial install. Does that make sense? I was sent to grub-safety>, which was a dead-end. Thanks to all!

Return to “Installation & Boot”