What do you not like about Cinnamon?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
caribriz

Re: What do you not like about Cinnamon?

Post by caribriz »

SallyK wrote: And that horrible hot corner thing, how to disable that? I really hate this in Cinnamon. Everytime when i move a window over the desktop and let ot loose, it maximizes over the whole desktop which i don't want. Really, is there a way to stop this?

I'm wondering if there's some confusion here, because that's not what the hot corner means in Cinnamon. The hot corner is the way of bringing up all the virtual desktops so you can pick between them.

I think there is a way of turning off the auto-maximising of windows, but I don't know what it is, I'm afraid.
I haven't tried it, but maybe a solution to the window problem in this thread :?: :
Window snaps to full screen - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=115002

caribriz
bwat47

Post by bwat47 »

The icon scaling on the panel could be better. With the default panel size applications that are pinned to the panel have very blurry icons, so you have to set the panel size to 28 to get sharp icons.

The cinnamon menu really needs polish. When text is too long to fit on the menu its simply abruptly cut off, and so is the highlight effect. It should be truncated with a fade out or ellipsis instead, would look a lot more polished. Another issue is there is no way to customize what shows on the left side of the cinnamon menu.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

bwat47 wrote:The icon scaling on the panel could be better. With the default panel size applications that are pinned to the panel have very blurry icons, so you have to set the panel size to 28 to get sharp icons.

The cinnamon menu really needs polish. When text is too long to fit on the menu its simply abruptly cut off, and so is the highlight effect. It should be truncated with a fade out or ellipsis instead, would look a lot more polished. Another issue is there is no way to customize what shows on the left side of the cinnamon menu.
A fix for the cutting off is on the way.
bwat47

Post by bwat47 »

bimsebasse wrote:
bwat47 wrote:The icon scaling on the panel could be better. With the default panel size applications that are pinned to the panel have very blurry icons, so you have to set the panel size to 28 to get sharp icons.

A fix for the cutting off is on the way.
awesome :)
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

bwat47 wrote:Another issue is there is no way to customize what shows on the left side of the cinnamon menu.
Do you just mean what programs are displayed in the Favourites list in Cinnamon's menu? If so, you can easily do that.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=114557

caribriz
bwat47

Post by bwat47 »

caribriz wrote:
bwat47 wrote:Another issue is there is no way to customize what shows on the left side of the cinnamon menu.
Do you just mean what programs are displayed in the Favourites list in Cinnamon's menu? If so, you can easily do that.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=114557

caribriz
Oh cool I didn't even realize that. I had been trying to right click the programs on the left side, but hadn't thought of going to the programs entry in the menu to do it.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Another weird thing with the Cinnamon menu is that, when i install the Dutch language (system)files and remove the English language (system)files, the Cinnamon menu still show some menu items with English text! Why is that? Is it a bug or ....??? Who can tell...
nomko

Post by nomko »

nomko wrote:
bimsebasse wrote:Cinnamon Settings is already more complex and has more settings options than Ubuntu Tweak. The hot corner can be disabled from there as well (you should check Cinnamon Settings out, it's in the menu). Ubuntu Tweak is better designed, though, Cinnamon Settings is a mess to look at and getting increasingly labyrinthine to use as the options increase.
Disabling Hot Corners doesn't work. It's still working after disabling it. There must be a more permanent solution.

This looks like a good (and permanent) solution: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 02#p642533.
NOB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NOB »

Hi

First of all I'd like to say that Cinnamon (Linux Mint 13) works fast on my 5-year old AMD64 laptop.
And, of course, even faster on my i7 laptop.

But I miss one feature (or I didn't find how to set it): auto-raise of windows if using the "focus follows mouse"* setting.

I'm not sure whether to mention this "bug" (?) here because it's the Linux Mint 14 RC but the
workspace manager drives me crazy.
As soon as I move the mouse half-way down the screen to hit, e.g. the OK button, the workspace manager
shows up and I have to select the desired workspace.
Is that a bug or a feature I can disable ?

Thanks for your work on Cinnamon. I'll try Nemo, too.
And I'm happy about that both tools are back-ported to Linux Mint 13 !

Kind regards

Norbert.
acw89

Post by acw89 »

Just cutover from Mint 11 to Mint 13 Cinnamon. :mrgreen:

There are 2 things I do not like about Cinnamon.

minor: No REAL screen saver. I know it blanks the screen to save on the batteries, but I mean a conventional screen-savers.

major: Themes really do not change much of anything. Most of the time its just the color of the panel, icons and start menu, but all
other windows elements are that same DULL gray. (This was far easier in Mint 11 where you could change the color of any elements)
I know Cinnamon is new and perhaps they will provide a way to do this in the near future.

(It seems to hang up some, but not sure that is Cinnamon's fault so I did not put I had 3 things :)

(Any suggestions by other Forum members on changing the color of the windows elements are appreciated :D )
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Screensavers were dropped in Gnome 3 (the DE underneath both current Cinnamon, Gnome Shell and Unity) because they no longer serve a purpose beyond eye candy on modern computers.

Themes can be changed just as they could in Mint 11. "Cinnamon themes" only changes Cinnamon, for windows you need to go to "Other Settings" and change "GTK+ theme" and "Window theme"
acw89

Post by acw89 »

thanks bimsebasse,
Where might I find these "other settings" .. I only seem to see the ones for Cinnomon.

So I can load windows Themes to change their color? Do you know a good site to find new Windows themes?

I REALLY hate the gray!

Thanks
acw89

Post by acw89 »

Thanks!

I feel like such a dummie... was looking in an entirely different place. Guess like a lot of folks I am a bit confused regarding
the different elements (DE vs actual app windows) and need to straighten it out in my mind as what controls what.

I appreciate your help.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Don't, it could be organized much better than it is - reckon I'd be a bit confused if I was a newcomer to Cinnamon :D
Jupiter_Spunk

Post by Jupiter_Spunk »

3 things I don't like in Cinnamon-nemo.

1 Organization. You have cinnamon settings, system settings, login settings and more. wouldn't it be better if all of the settings and customization are all in 1 place ( this complaint could apply to other managers as well)

2 file copy - I used to get a new window with a progress bar, a time remaining, and size /s. Now all I get is a notification saying there is a file copy occuring, and if you click on it goes away, not when its complete, when you click the notification. If I could click on that and open a progress bar, that would be nice. ( obviously this is copying using nemo)

3. I'm tired of gray windows. nemo needs to be able to be themed. It would be really nice if they could wrap this all up with cinnamon themes. If I could give the whole system the same google + look for instance. seamless and easy.

other wise, its stable and I don't have any real issues outside of some annoyances.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Nemo can be themed - you can change your theme to any one of dozens available GTK3 themes.
acw89

Post by acw89 »

thanks again bimsebasse. I was able to find a suitable group of settings to get rid of the gray, though I must say having to tinker with 3 different areas of those settings was a bit more complex than the simplicity I found in Mint 11. I still do wish I had a better understanding of which did what. Now the Icons are obvious, but the what exactly is affected by the setting of Cinnamon themes and then Window themes is not clear to me. I also am wondering WHY there is a setting for 'Windows' and then further down in settings ... a choice for GTK+. What is GTK+ and what do its settings govern?

SO GLAD to get rid of that depressing GRAY!!! :mrgreen:

With Mint ... you are learning every day.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

ac, you are one of legio. I filed a "improved theme handling" feature request on Cinnamon's developer hub long time ago but it was quickly closed. For some reason it's a complete blind spot among developers, not recognized as the major cause of confusion and frustration it is.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

bimsebasse wrote:ac, you are one of legio. I filed a "improved theme handling" feature request on Cinnamon's developer hub long time ago but it was quickly closed. For some reason it's a complete blind spot among developers, not recognized as the major cause of confusion and frustration it is.
Yep and you other quote

"Cinnamon themes" only changes Cinnamon, for windows you need to go to "Other Settings"
and change "GTK+ theme" and "Window theme"

Which tells me too much tweaking just to get a unified theme across destop & apps. Then complete confusion and breakage of Gtk vs. Gtk+ version 3.5 vs. 3.6 not implemented correctly or differently breaking themes. Icon issues.

Cinnamon is pretty damn good but could do better about those issues. The other issues are more about gnome like no feature rich and powerful CD/DVD burning apps unless you cross the border to kde land for them kind of things or use wine. Still holes in what is considered basic window applications with few linux equivalents or choices.

And still peeved about the battle still going on with no resolution of the apps remember windows size & position. "It's the DE that is responsible" no...no...no "It's the Application responsibility to take care of that". And coming back years latter and seeing it still hasn't change and nobody willing to budge for the sake of the users out there.

Otherwise looking great and loving Cinnamon and waiting for the "Hot & Buttered Buns" edition! 8)

Return to “Cinnamon”