Mint 14 Mate on a Dell Precision M4300

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fgago

Mint 14 Mate on a Dell Precision M4300

Post by fgago »

Before installing Mint in my 5-year-old Dell notebook I tried to figure out my chance of success, but found no report about this hardware on the forums, so I decided to share my results.
I downloaded the "Nadia 14.1 Mate 64-bit ISO", made a bootable pen drive with "USB Image writer" and the installation was smooth. Everything is working fine.
The only thing I had to touch was the Broadcom BCM4311 Wireless Adapter driver. The solution was very simple. I found help here http://askubuntu.com/questions/38327/ho ... ss-working. I installed the package firmware-b43-installer, rebooted and wifi started working.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

I use this laptop for Java and C++ development and I am enjoying a lot this distribution. Very light, elegant and stable. Congratulations.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mint 14 Mate on a Dell Precision M4300

Post by caf4926 »

Good news
Generally, Dell machines work pretty well.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
jasonm

Re: Mint 14 Mate on a Dell Precision M4300

Post by jasonm »

Yes, good or bad, the Dell business class machines are pretty much my go-to distro testers.

Return to “Hardware Support”