Iced Tea Java

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Iced Tea Java

Post by exploder »

I have been trying Iced Tea Java and it seems to work very well. I know that Iced Tea Java is open source but how is it different from Sun Java? So far my experience with Iced Tea Java has been good, is there any disadvantages to using this over Sun Java? I have used Iced Tea Java to play quite a few online games and it works perfectly.

I am looking for opinions, comments.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Iced Tea Java

Post by exploder »

Java is a Sun product that is closed source. Recently, they were interested in releasing Java under an open source license. However, they couldn't release it that way because small portions of java had already been licensed to other companies.
This is what I was wondering about! I live in the US and would prefer to have a legal system if possible and this fills one of the voids. I am not a purist as far as that goes and have nothing against using proprietary software, graphics drivers,etc. I know that Mepis provides most of the multimedia capabilities "out of the box" and it is US based. My main goal is to put LinuxMint on business machines in the US. I am trying to figure out what I could legally use on business machines.

I know for example that I can not install libdvdcss2 on business machines because of patent laws but some things fall into a grey area. I have tried Gnash as a replacement for Flash and it falls short at this time. I believe that I can use Flash because of how it is licensed.

Thanks for answering my question on functionality. Iced Tea seems acceptable for the most part for most people.

Thanks again for your thoughts on this!
williamspajr

Post by williamspajr »

I use iced tea because it resolved a problem with MIRO not loading.
Dandapani

Post by Dandapani »

The Iced Tea browser plugin didn't work with my companies VPN applet on my Fedora 9 Linux box. I had to d/l Sun's Linux jre to get it to work properly. Other, less demanding applets ran fine, however.

Return to “Open Chat”