stable music player for linux mint 12 'mate'

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
randancing

stable music player for linux mint 12 'mate'

Post by randancing »

I have tried Amarok, Banshee, and rythmbox and all three have proven completely unstable. Once they are launched, they will not close down and they lock up the rest of the system so then my only recourse is a hard re-boot. While this is not such a big deal, I would like to use the system for multitasking rather than just a music player. Are there any stable music palyer software that will allow me continuous play of my songs with out locking up my sytem. I loved the look and feel of amorok and the way it seems to know to place the songs in order rather than ramdomly, but the lock up is most extreme with Amorok in that it even tries to stop a re-boot. The "Mate" GUI doesn't want to work with the music player (I do mostly old time radio dramas and dr. who so I play continuous). Is the problem in the Music player or the GUI. I would gladly change to something else when I figure out how it is done, but I also like the Mate GUI.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: stable music player for linux mint 12 'mate'

Post by Orbmiser »

Tried Clementine?
http://www.clementine-player.org/

It's in the repo's and based on an older less bloated less buggy Amorak?
Haven't used it a lot.

Amarok used back in 2008 and was pretty stable then. Don't know how it is now. Banshee works for me except the occasional close for no reason bug. But doesn't hang or lock up. Sounds more like you have a device driver issue? sound or video?

As banshee works on my system fine except the occasional close glitch. Maybe going to Mint 13 or 14 Mate? As I'm running Mint 14 Cinnamon Nadia myself and no major issues as you stated.
Last edited by Orbmiser on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I've switched over to Quod Libet. It's 10 times as lightweight, and 10 times as featurefull as those other players. YMMV, but I like it :D You can easily configure it to browse your music in the way that you like.
randancing wrote:The "Mate" GUI doesn't want to work with the music player ...
What do you mean by that? If you meant the media keys on your keyboard don't work, that is because your music player isn't compatible with MATE and so doesn't listen when MATE tells it a media key is pressed. You can easily work around that, see steps here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p630136
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Quod Libet interesting haven't heard of that one before but is also in the repo's.
randancing

Post by randancing »

[quote="Orbmiser"]Tried Clementine?
http://www.clementine-player.org/

Thanks for this. Clementine works great with Mate and is very stable not to mention that it is far simpler to use and has more features that any of the other players. It solved my problem.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Be sure to mark the thread Solved! then

Return to “Software & Applications”