Avoiding display issues in Mint 14

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Do not post ideas for application developers. Please use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo ideas.

Re: Avoiding display issues in Mint 14

Postby cwwgateway on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:17 pm

On Gnome Classic, Gnome Shell, and Cinnamon, this command worked to set the default desktop:
Code: Select all
xrandr --output HDMI1 --primary

Again, swap out HDMI1 for whatever other input you may have. This command will tell you the available inputs/monitors:
xrandr

Add the first xrandr command (xrandr --output <OUTPUT> --primary) to your startup applications in Gnome/Cinnamon/Gnome Classic or add the xrandr command from my previous post for Xfce.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid
cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby cwwgateway on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:38 pm

On KDE you can use the display settings to adjust everything, and clicking "Save As Default" saves it. KDM doesn't work with multiple monitors, however (although I haven't looked extensively enough into it or MDM).
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid
cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Postby igor83 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:30 pm

cwwgateway wrote:Sorry for not posting sooner Donovan, but I was running Windows when I posted (I was using a PDF that didn't work too well with linux). Also, thank you igor for those kind words :wink: :) . Anyways, here's the command for Xfce:
xrandr --output HDMI1 --left-of LVDS1

All deserved cw. I'll get back to that guy on the ubuntu forums and link to this thread here.
He might even switch over to LM Xfce!
My desktop runs 64-bit Kubuntu 13.04, my htpc runs 64-bit Linux Mint Nadia Xfce, my answering machine runs 64-bit windows 7, and my laptop runs 64-bit Linux Mint Nadia KDE. Each seems suited to its purpose.
igor83
Level 4
Level 4

Previous

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas