Mint 14 KDE?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rudemeister

Mint 14 KDE?

Post by Rudemeister »

I know, I'm kind of jumping the gun here. I am looking forward to Mint 14. I know it's not far off too. But my preferred desktop is KDE. I tried Kubuntu 12.04 a while back and Mint 13 KDE. Mint looked more polished, installed easier and looked better. So, I guess Mint 14 KDE probably can't be expected till oh......February is my guess. Does anybody have any idea what the plans for it will be? I added the Edgers PPA and Kubuntu PPA to my Mint 13 KDE 13 install. So now I have kernel 3.5.0-18-generic, KDE 4.9.3 and Nvidia 304.64 running on my laptop, the same but with Nvidia 310.19 running on my desktop. The work so flawlessly, that it is hard to imagine how they might be improved. Except that some of that apps are still a bit behind. I would really like to get Gimp 2.8, but I'm still running 2.6. I guess 14 will have the latest application updates too. Anyway, I'm going to stick with the installs I have till I see what Mint 14 KDE turns out like.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Mint 14 KDE?

Post by tdockery97 »

I could be wrong, but I'll bet that Mint 14 KDE will be out by late December.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

tdockery97 wrote:I could be wrong, but I'll bet that Mint 14 KDE will be out by late December.
I sure hope you're right. :D
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Rudemeister wrote:I sure hope you're right.
What would prevent you from using:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install kde-standard
or

sudo apt-get install kde-full
on the current RC?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
colyn

Post by colyn »

Rudemeister wrote:I would really like to get Gimp 2.8, but I'm still running 2.6.
Gimp 2.8 is easily installed in Mint 13 KDE.

Enter the following in a terminal and you'll have Gimp 2.8 up and running in no time..

sudo apt-get remove gimp

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install gimp
Then go to the below link to get the 2.8 scripts...

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/download ... -more.html
nico

Post by nico »

we're almost there
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/161
:lol:

thanks Colin for gimp 2.8
Ghermain

Post by Ghermain »

Podrian explicar ¿cual es la diferencia entre KDE-standar y KDE-full? Ventajas y desventajas de usar:

sudo apt-get install kde-standar (que instala)

sudo apt-get install kde-full (que instala adicional a standar)

Gracias, es una guía para novatos como yo.
:roll:
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Yes, Mint 14 KDE is indeed undergoing testing as reflected on the community site. As a matter of fact, to my surprise and delight one of the testers is none other than Jamie Boo, previous and long-time maintainer of the Mint KDE edition.

Welcome back Boo!
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Won't be long now. :D
braingateway

Post by braingateway »

Unless u are going to test distros for fun, I suggest never use any version other than LTS release. If you need cutting edge packages, you probably should NOT use ubuntu/debian at all. You have to use Arch.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

[please keep in mind that we are here talking about mint; any discussion about other distros (always welcome) move it to chat]

regarding mint 14 kde is already approved for rc http://community.linuxmint.com/iso and in the mirrors near you :lol:
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

zerozero wrote:[please keep in mind that we are here talking about mint; any discussion about other distros (always welcome) move it to chat]

regarding mint 14 kde is already approved for rc http://community.linuxmint.com/iso and in the mirrors near you :lol:
And where are those mirrors?
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

You have to be a tester to get to those mirrors.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

[be aware that these are RC editions and not announced yet, please use as-is]

heanet >> http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/testing/?C=M;O=D
yellowfiber >> http://mirror.yellowfiber.net/linuxmint/testing/
have fun and btw tdoc just opened a topic here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=118714 about his first impressions about mint 14 kde, we can try to keep things tidy and move over there :D
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Thank you zero. 8)
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Decided to move my post to here. Seems a better place for it.

I downloaded the 64 bit .iso and installed it on my HP laptop. I have to say that my initial impression is that it is very stable. The installation went without incident, and I have finished installing all my usual apps such as Dropbox, Google Chrome, Google Earth, etc. All of them are working perfectly.

I've tested streaming video performance on YouTube and other sites and it works smoothly, including in full-screen mode.

This is the first time I've used a 64 bit version in a while, and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed.

Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Steve Payne

Post by Steve Payne »

Running KDE 13, can't wait to try the 14RC. BTW, wonder if the kernel in 14 will support RT372 chipsets? Having a beast of a time trying to get a Rosewill RNX-N600UBE to run on Linux. Prior Rosewill adapter ran like a charm right out of the box -- this one, no such luck....
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

I installed Mint-14 64 bit on my desktop AMD Phenom quad core, 6 gigs of ram, Nvidia Quadro FX 1500, Sound Blaster Audigy and everything is
working flawlessly . I'm loving it! 8)
colyn

Post by colyn »

BubbaBlues wrote:I installed Mint-14 64 bit on my desktop AMD Phenom quad core, 6 gigs of ram, Nvidia Quadro FX 1500, Sound Blaster Audigy and everything is
working flawlessly . I'm loving it! 8)
Have you upgraded to 4.9.4 yet? If not

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
No problems with it...
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

I tested the version of Linux Mint 14 KDE RC. It really works great, even to be an RC version. The two hours I was testing in virtual machine, and really did not give me any problems, not had any unexpected crash. Fantastic version, not only change the 13 that I have installed on my machine because the 13 is LTS ..... But undoubtedly, is excellent !!!!

Return to “Software & Applications”