Tor Update How?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Badnews

Tor Update How?

Post by Badnews »

There is a security update available for Tor, I all ready have Tor installed, But for the life of me don't know how to update it, I downloaded the updated version/file ( tor-browser-gnu-linux-x86_64-2.3.25-1-dev-en-US.tar.gz ), But i can't get it to upgrade my previous version?. Running Linux Mint Mate x64 and can extract the file in my download dir no problem, But can't update my previous version.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Badnews

Re: Tor Update How?

Post by Badnews »

This is how you upgrade your Tor as the Linux guru's couldn't figure it out.

First i already had Tor installed on machine thru online web PPA for Linux Mint 13

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/08/install ... pa-on.html

Then after a few days it let me know there was a security update and you download a TAR file.

Ok i download the TAR file and now what?....Who knows it didn't say. But i couldn't update it but i took a chance and this is how.

Your TOR install dir is hidden, just CTRL H to see the TOR browser install dir, Now copy the upgrage TAR file to your TOR dir and uncompress it overwriting the old files. Delete the TAR file as it isn't needed anymore and CTRL H again to hide the hidden dir's, Your upgraded now!.

Return to “Beginner Questions”