Different background for each workspace?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
peyrol
Level 3
Level 3

Different background for each workspace?

Post by peyrol »

I used to use Kubuntu which is Ubuntu with KDE. At one point, each workspace could have its unique background image. Then that feature was removed. I found it very useful to quickly see which workspace I am in. Are there any plans to implement this feature with Mate? As things stand, I find no direct indication which ws I am in. I put my taskbar on the right, if that matters. I can press Ctrl+Alt+left or right arrow, but a different background image seems much more user friendly. At least, some sort of visual indication, like maybe a number on the taskbar, would be an improvement. Thanks for your patience.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Stormwoken

Re: Different background for each workspace?

Post by Stormwoken »

As a complete newbie (I installed Mint a couple of days ago), I second that question. It would also be nice to have separate desktop shortcuts for each workspace. It may sound trivial, but it would really enhance the user experience.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

@peyrol
i am also thinks if separate wallpaper for each workspace is cool but in all DE i had use ( Cinnamon, MATE , Gnome,KDE, XFCE, LXDE) ,only KDE has this option .
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

this would be similar to the 'full monty' version of PCLinuxOS, where you have not only a different background but different icons and some desktop widgets i think; they use different desktops for task groups, like office, multimedia, etc. I believe they have 6 different options by default. This is the KDE version so it may not be possible in MATE, currently; something to consider
Making default desktop themes like 'office', 'gaming', etc. would be a way to implement this, with the tricky bit having different themes per desktop
I do agree that the current way of having a panel indicator is insufficient
certainly should be a high priority for MATE and Cinnamon, if not LXDE and XFCE, et al
'/
rubenvdg

Post by rubenvdg »

Maybe I'm missing something, but you can add the "workspace" switcher to a panel. This gives you an indication on which virtual desktop you are. It's not the same as separate backgrounds, which would definitely be nice, but it's an indication.

As for separate shortcuts to go to each virtual desktop, that is also possible, and only has to be configured in the "keyboard shortcuts" settings.

I am using MATE on LMDE, though, if that would make a difference.
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

i think you are missing the point
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

The point isn't so much having an indicator of which desktop you are on, but rather having a separate environment in front of you for different tasks. I have set up Ubuntu in the past for different wallpapers, but it's a hack and a half and left me unable to use icons on the desktop.

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 and Mint 14 now, and neither OS really supports this kind of thing. But I may just check out PCLinux, though I am not a fan of KDE...

At any rate, I third, fourth... nth this suggestion, as well.
Try politeness; people will like you for it.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

gnome2.x never supported this feature, you had to use compiz and with the immediate shortcoming of loosing the desktop icons.

as far as i know (and as mank_in said above) only kde has this option ootb.

if you are using lmde (and don't want to reinstall) just do an

Code: Select all

apt install kde-standard 
or give the unofficial lmde-kde a go (it's really nice)
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

zerozero wrote:gnome2.x never supported this feature, you had to use compiz and with the immediate shortcoming of [losing] the desktop icons.
Yes, that is correct.

It's a shame, really... I really don't like KDE.
peyrol
Level 3
Level 3

Post by peyrol »

rubenvdg wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but you can add the "workspace" switcher to a panel. This gives you an indication on which virtual desktop you are. It's not the same as separate backgrounds, which would definitely be nice, but it's an indication.

As for separate shortcuts to go to each virtual desktop, that is also possible, and only has to be configured in the "keyboard shortcuts" settings.

I am using MATE on LMDE, though, if that would make a difference.
Thanks, I did not see that. The switcher is sufficient for me for now. So no, you are not missing the point as far as the original poster is concerned :-)
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

Sadly, I would still like separate wallpapers. I did install and try KDE just now... Still don't like it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

:(
Last edited by Dngrsone on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

hmm, yeah, just did a check, new shortcut in desktop 2 shows up in 3,4 and i suppose also in 1 (currently locked up with adobe flash crash)

pclinuxos is pretty cool, not sure why i deleted it; probably an adminstrator problem; lots of distros like to make things uber secure and I just don't have patience for that

'/

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=113571
lmde-kde looks very interesting, worth a try
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

gnome2.x never supported this feature, you had to use compiz and with the immediate shortcoming of loosing the desktop icons.
Thats most common option. Theirs also the package (debian and Ubuntu one on web) 'walpapos' originally for gnome2 now also xfce (also works in mate). Not sure if works in gnom3/unity/cinnamon thou. Run slower (automates with a demon but still changes wallpaper as if manual)
Also few others (mostly walpapos variations.

J.Jay
P.S. also save desk icon (ableit same all workspaces) :D
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Also...(couple months(years?) back

Was (and probally can still find!) a script to be used as a daemon/auto-started over at 'Crunch Bang' (writin by the head developer I believeve) to be used in as a automated wallpaper changer for 'openbox'
Could probally be used as a insperation/template for those wanting to code own for other DE's :wink:
RonC

Post by RonC »

Hi!
Different backgrounds are nice -- but can we do this with Linux Mint?

Notice that the desktop contents also change ... not only the wallpaper.

I started a thread on this over on the Mint Desktops forum, because -- if Mint can handle this -- I would be surprised if all editions can do it, because of the different workspace environments on each.

Hope someone sees the other thread and responds, because I'd like to stay with Mint. But, thanks for the heads-up about PCLinuxOS! I didn't know that ... you mean it's already built-in??

[edit] I see with PCLinuxOS, to change with the desktop, the icons have to be 'attached' to something called a 'Clip' and if so, can't be left anywhere on the desktop, as in the above video with Ubuntu. Can anyone get this working in Linux Mint!! [/edit]
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

pclinux 'full monty'

thats a version 'spin' based on the KDE enviroment.

J.Jay
garolou

Post by garolou »

Hello everyone,
I just moved from Ubuntu 11.10 to Mint 13 cinnamon. The desktop environment here is more of what I'm looking for. I like the idea of having a different background for each workspace also... so I spent a day to figure out a way to do it - It's not perfect but pretty close.
The script basically monitors a 'change of workspace' and resets the background image to your choice.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
# Workspace desktop image switcher WDIS 1.0
# Script to change the desktop image when switching workspaces.
# Tested on Linux Mint 13 'cinnamon'
desktop_dir="/home/username/.cinnamon/backgrounds/" # full path to images directory; 
desktop_img[0]="boat.jpg"
desktop_img[1]="boat_mirror.jpg"
desktop_img[2]=""
desktop_img[3]=""
# add more images if using more workspaces

setdesktop() {
	gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri "file://$desktop_dir$1"
	}
xprop -root -spy _NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP | (
	while read -r; do
		desk=${REPLY:${#REPLY}-1:1}
		setdesktop ${desktop_img[$desk]}
	done
	)
Modify the paths and image names appropriately.
Let me know if there is any way I can improve the code.

Cheers
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

That was great coding (way out of my league)

BUT I think thats how 'walpapos' does it. I think you can still find on web(?).

If find you may want to incorporate their code. It has a GUI for picking backgrounds ect, a daemon does the actual work.

J.Jay
P.S. I'll see if can find a link (I have The .6.2 deb also. :wink:

Sorry spelled wrong (old age creeping in :lol: ) Wallpapoz https://vajrasky.wordpress.com/wallpapoz/ Used for years suport for Xfce only since 6.1 (i think tho)
theirs also a acual deb package (works both on 32 & 64bit) at launchpad https://launchpad.net/~ikoinoba/+archiv ... 5&start=75
garolou

Post by garolou »

If my searching would have listed wallpapoz, I would not have gone through the trouble of figuring out that script! I looked at his code, wallpapoz does what the script is doing, but has options for random pics, and of course a GUI to set everything up.
I did learn alot doing this exercise, and my script ends up using less memory than wallpapoz's daemon, so it was not all wasted time! :-)
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Sorry if my (bad) spelling caused you loss time. :oops:

One thing (complaint) is speed of redraw. Redraws as if changed wallpaper manually just automated (and checks the desktop #). Gnomes even slower :shock:

Maybe getting the pics in memory (temp?) may speedup? seems speedier on 2nd and subsequent switches.

J.Jay

Return to “LMDE Archive”