Cant set proper default Application to run Minecraft

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jeveleth3

Cant set proper default Application to run Minecraft

Post by jeveleth3 »

(I am using linux mint cinnamon 14)Minecraft opens with archive manager by default after instilation and if I right click I can choose to open it with OpenJDK java 7 runtime (The correct app to open it with) as seen here.
So I right clicked minecraft and went to properties to set openJDK as the default app to open it with but it wasnt there?
Minecraft set default.png
On cinnamon 13 there was usually another bar in between "Default Application" and "Other Applications" called "Recommended Applications" but its not there anymore and "OpenJDK" nor "archive manager" show in "Other Applications"
Can someone please tell me how to fix this? Like a way to change the default app to open with through the terminal? Or a simple script in place of the Minecraft desktop icon that auto-runs it with openJDK?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nikker

Re: Cant set proper default Application to run Minecraft

Post by nikker »

I'm having the same issue, I can not set default application for opening Minecraft. Is there any Minecraft Mod to resolve this issue?
bigj231

Re: Cant set proper default Application to run Minecraft

Post by bigj231 »

I have not seen a way to set the default application for minecraft using the GUI. I just made a bash script to launch it. you will have to run minecraft from the console the first time, but then you can run this script.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/java/64/jre1.7.0_09/lib/amd64"
java -jar ~/.minecraft/minecraft.jar
Just copy and paste it into a text file, and name it something like "minecraft.sh"
I'm using SUN's proprietary JAVA, so I need the export line. I'm not sure if it is necessary for the open JRE, as I never had good luck with it.
I installed JAVA using my script here .

Return to “Software & Applications”