How to install chkconfig

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mwpowellhtx

How to install chkconfig

Post by mwpowellhtx »

Hello,

I want to install chkconfig, but am running into some trouble. Me = Linux newbie.

If I can believe Software Sources, import is included, which is Linux Mint universe right?

However attempts to sudo apt-get install chkconfig are met with fail.

Tangent, I want to do this in order to admin services, obviously: specifically for Hamachi / Haguichi, to verify Hamachi is installed and running right.

Thanks...

Regards,

Michael
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: How to install chkconfig

Post by viking777 »

chkconfig is out of date and I believe it no longer works with Mint/Ubuntu. Try sysv-rc-conf instead, it is similar. Don't get too used to using that either though eventually systemd takes over (it already has in a lot of distros so Ubuntu/Mint will probably follow, but don't quote me) Then you have to start all over again.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

viking777 wrote:chkconfig is out of date and I believe it no longer works with Mint/Ubuntu. Try sysv-rc-conf instead, it is similar. Don't get too used to using that either though eventually systemd takes over (it already has in a lot of distros so Ubuntu/Mint will probably follow, but don't quote me) Then you have to start all over again.
That would be an interesting development. Ubuntu / Mint uses a weird combination of the old SysV and the new Upstart scripts to start things and Upstart was created for/by Ubuntu. For Ubuntu to use RedHat's ( at least that's who owns the developers ) systemd it would have to admit that it's superior to Upstart.

Right after that it will announce that it's abandoning Unity for Cinnamon :shock:

You might be right but I'm just beginning to understand Upstart :(
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Right after that it will announce that it's abandoning Unity for Cinnamon
I hope not, I think Unity is the best desktop linux has ever had (if you discount ignorant decisions like disabling 'dodge windows' and 'Amazon Ads' in the dash).

Thanks for the explanation anyway, I was not at all aware of who invented what and when. The only thing I know for sure is that I can't work systemd without a cheat sheet! Both chkconfig and sysv-rc-conf are far easier to use.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

viking777 wrote:
Right after that it will announce that it's abandoning Unity for Cinnamon
I hope not, I think Unity is the best desktop linux has ever had (if you discount ignorant decisions like disabling 'dodge windows' and 'Amazon Ads' in the dash).
It would appear you and I have diverged quite a bit over the years. I have gone in the exact opposite direction - I use XFCE :)
Both chkconfig and sysv-rc-conf are far easier to use.
That's another problem if you are using Ubuntu-based Mint. chkconfig, sysv-rc-conf as well as update-rc.d and BUM are for managing SystemV init scripts. They cannot manage Upstart scripts. So that leaves out things like: cups, avahi, nmbd, smbd, udev, dbus, ssh, ufw, and probably a bunch of others I can't remember. There is no GUI or command line way to control upstart jobs ( other than to start / stop / or find the status on a live system ). You have to edit the conf files directly ( or rename them ) in /etc/init.

I noticed that on my system this Hamachi thingy is not in the repositores. If it's being installed from outside then in all likelihood it will set itself up as a SysV job for compatibility reasons so sysv-rc-conf should work. But if it sets itself up as an upstart job then ....
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

It would appear you and I have diverged quite a bit over the years. I have gone in the exact opposite direction - I use XFCE
Not that much Altair, I am using Xfce also, and Cinnamon, just not all the time, I have my favourites, but I enjoy the diversity of Linux as well.

Return to “Software & Applications”