new themes insanity

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

new themes insanity

Post by ashtonford »

I just started having this problem Iam using mint 13 with cinnamon. When I add new themes that I dowloaded from the site they are getting locked when placed in the themes folder with the root symbol on them saying that I dont have permission to view them. Also they are not showing up in the cinnamon settings. Is this something new from a up date? any help solving this would be appreciated. Its difficult enough to add themes as is, I hope this isent something extra thats been added.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hawkeye_52

Re: new themes insanity

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

Something to take a look at is the 'Permissions' that are in place for any new themes you have added. If the new themes are in /usr/share/themes, then 'Permission' should look like the picture below. If they do not, you need to alter the 'Permissions' to match the picture.

If, however, they have been placed in your home directory (to check, you must go to your 'home' directory and select 'View Hidden Files' from the 'View' option in your Nemo menu), then 'Permissions' should be set to ensure there is no 'root' access involved.

If you have to make any changes to the 'Permissions' area, in either directory, you must, of course, enter the necessary folder with 'root privileges' by using Nemo to navigate to where you need to go, then right click on the folder you want and select 'Open as Root'. This gives you the access to change the 'Permissions' to the appropriate settings.

If this is not the problem, someone more skilled than me will have to chime in with an answer... :wink:

Hawkeye52
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

ok thanks that was a hige help another question how about adding themes to cinnimon in opensuse 12.2 there isent any open as admin setting
Hawkeye_52

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

ashtonford wrote:ok thanks that was a hige help another question how about adding themes to cinnimon in opensuse 12.2 there isent any open as admin setting
If I understand your question, it is about cinnamon in opensuse. In that case, you will need to direct your question to an opensuse forum. Eventhough cinnamon was developed by the Linux Mint team, many other distributions are now offering it, and their version will differ from Linux Mint...

Sorry :(

Hawkeye52
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

the question was about both mint and opensuse.
Hawkeye_52

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

To change themes in Linux Mint Cinnamon, open your menu, select 'Preferences', then 'Cinnamon Settings', then 'Themes'. You have several pre-installed options, plus the ability to add more. Again, I wouldn't know how opensuse does this...

Hawkeye52
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

neither do they it seems. Its unbelievable to me that no one here or there is using cinnamon and opensuse and knows the answer . Ill figure it out

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”